* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

New website for B2B multi-app company

Since 2007, my company website was looking like
http://www.lokad.com/es/ then, one month ago, I realized that this design was feeling, very "web 2.0 bubble". Thus, with some outside help, I tried to give it a major refresh, and here it is: http://www.lokad.com/

One area where I am still struggling is dealing with the multi-app aspect of the website (apps addresses closely related B2B markets).

In particular, it's amazing how modern CSS is making things easier. Still not perfect, but I do remember that half a decade ago, achieving a clean CSS design had been epic battle, and now, it feels (almost) easy. Also, stock photo banks make it really easy to assemble very good looking materials ($95 spent on stock photos for this page).

Any feedback will be appreciated.
Joannes Vermorel - Lokad Sales Forecasting Send private email
Thursday, May 09, 2013

Very nice and much improved.

I would put the products boxes higher to highlight that it's a multiple product website.
The SalesCast box placement it's odd. It's a product like the others or other thing?... If it's a product, give it the same space (or a little more if its more important)
edddy Send private email
Thursday, May 09, 2013

Overall, I think it looks sleek, professional and mature.  These are all good things.  From the pricing page I can't get back to the details page for Salescast (but I can for Phantomscan and ShelfCheck).  BigFiles is pretty small on details, if there isn't much to say about it, what about integrating it with your other products?  And I would dump the Basecamp style 3-tier pricing structure.  Starving students and non-profits don't need your products, so why have a free Express version?  Try a la carte pricing with some examples of complete business solutions and what the final cost/benefit is.
Howard Ness Send private email
Thursday, May 09, 2013

I like the site, but I noticed a weird horizontal scrollbar (Firefox 20 on Win Vista 64). I think it is a background image or similar (dark grey and several thousand pixels wide).

Don't like the orange shades on the Pricing page or the faded text.

On your Customers page you have text about companies nobody heard of and logos for big companies. Try to get permission to have text about the big guys instead.
Scorpio Send private email
Friday, May 10, 2013

Looks good.

The banner photo behind 'Send us data, we deliver results' is perhaps a bit too abstract/blurred though. A picture of a few different retails displays (shelves of tins, fruit and veg etc) might work better. Just a thought.
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, May 10, 2013

Thanks a lot for the comments, very appreciated.

@edddy Salescast is really our flagship, much more mature, a lot clients. That's why it's emphasized so much. But agreed, design is somewhat asymmetric.

@Howard Nice catch concerning the pricing page. This page is not redesigned yet, and indeed it does require more attention (as spotted by @Scorpio as well).

I believe that the Express Plan is sound, but the reasoning is somewhat domain-specific (unrelated to students or non-profit). I will try to post more about it separately.

@Scorpio I would love to have comments from our big clients. Usually we don't even get as far as obtaining a permission for the logo :-( Still working on it though.

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics