* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Thanks to your advice I'm banned from all forums

Following a common advice here to give useful posts on forums related to my products I now have my IP and my standard username entered in stopspamforum database. Few forums let me register now...
Of course I didn't spam forums... But i did put links to my site (that was the point was not it?)

Anyway moral here is that it only takes 1 or 2  crazy administrators who based on their whim will decide to enter your IP in stopforumspam database (which is free for anyone to enter anything...)

Before you say that probably I did spam... I will say  that my posts were  similar to posts I make here - which means not everyone likes them but they are not spamming either

So real moral here is watchout when posting in order to promote
alexandar Send private email
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Most of the forums that I participate in explicitly state in their ToS that you can't simply promote your product; but they do allow you to mention it if it is on topic and you disclose your connection to it.

Some of them also say that they expect you to participate as any normal member would and respond to other posts unrelated to your product. Some of them let you put links in your sig, which can be useful.

If you abide by the rules it can be tough to find an opportunity to mention your product.

You should write a grovelling email to some moderators and ask to cooperate to let you back in.
koan Send private email
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Any examples of the posts you did and got banhammered for?
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

I don't know which forum  turned me in so I can't give you examples
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

For future reference, this is how your responses should go.

---------------
Them: Is there any way I can frob the frizzle when the frobber refuses to frizzle?!!

You: Well, the main reason the frobber refuses to frizzle is because you probably have a setup where you are dizzling the shizzler which is not a standard config. Is that what is going on?

Them: Yes, how can I fix it?!!!!

You: I'm a little biased but this is exactly why I wrote Frizzle Frobber 2.0. It works even when you're dizzling the shizzler. If you check it out, let me know how it works out. You can find it here: <url>. Reply here if you have issues or <email>.

However, if you don't want to use my Frizzle Frobber, then I would think the best course of action is <some convoluted procedure that makes them download your app>
--------

You need to provide value. I've been "spamming" forums like this for years. #1 source of incoming links/sales.
Bring back anon Send private email
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Oh, also the following works wonders:

Them: HELP! MY DOZZLER IS TIDDLING!!!

You: <helpful response>

--
My related app
http://myrelatedapp.com

That is, have your app in your signature while helping out users on the forum for stuff that is not directly related to your app.
Bring back anon Send private email
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

> <helpful response>

I've seen a helpful response going along the lines

"Well, I'm not using ThatFizzler 2.0, so I may be wrong in details, but generally the task of dizzling the fizzlers includes the following steps (I'll show them with my software, MyFizzler 1.0):

- Fizzle the dizzler
- Dizzle the fizzler

Hopefully it will help you to figure out the correct sequence in ThatFizzler."

If it was just a link to MyFizzle, moderator may ask to remove it, but since you're showing the steps to do the task, removing the name of the software makes it useless (removes the value), so the moderator may turn a blind eye to it (while fully understand what are you doing).

Moderator is looking for value to the users. Provide the value, and you will not be marked as spammer, even if you're promoting yourself as hell.
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

+1 to Bring back anon for good advice and examples.

That kind of thing happens here and on StackOverflow, although sometimes I do wonder if the questions are created, just so that certain people can jump in with a "helpful" answer. You all know who I'm talking about ;-)
Scorpio Send private email
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

No, I do not, Scorpio, but perhaps, others do.  Are you doing stealth promotion for the Hidden One?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

@Scorpio - We have ways of spotting that & although people speculate on it often I've never seen it done here.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

+ Bring back anon, great examples. 
I'd find it hard to mark that as spam if you are actually solving a real problem for a person and you can also offer non-affiliated alternatives.
DanDan Send private email
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Great, now we only need to ban you from this forum ...
Jeremy Morassi Send private email
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

> Great, now we only need to ban you from this forum ...

Hehehe... No way! Alexandar is a remarkable %$#^, but he's our %$#^. :D
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

"Following a common advice here"

I am very skeptical anyone here told you to go spam people's forums.
Scott Send private email
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Also ++ Bring back anon, very sensible advice there.
Scott Send private email
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Scott, it doesn't matter if someone in this forum gave alexandar bad advice or not, Fog Creek should still reimburse him (I am only guessing that alexandar is male) for whatever he paid them to have his posts displayed in this forum.  Anything less would be a travesty of justice.
Howard Ness Send private email
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Whenever I see a lament from Alexandar I smile inwardly. I know it's gonna be good. :)
WannabeTycoon Send private email
Friday, May 10, 2013

@ Tycoon
Thank you
Friday, May 10, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics