* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Feedback on my "Track Bug Fixes" video

I'm looking for some feedback on my "Track Bug Fixes" video.  This video will be one of four that will become my products flagship video.  The goal with these videos is to show how my tool can benefit individuals and teams.  My last video which was branded under my GitIntel brand (http://gitintel.com) came off as being too complex so I'm hoping these videos are easier to understand.

You can find the video on my test site at http://test.gitsense.com

I'm planning on doing another voice over so don't focus on that too much.  What I'm mainly looking for is:

- Is it too long?
- Does it make sense?
- Can you see how this would benefit an individual or very small development team?

Terrence Send private email
Tuesday, May 07, 2013
1. I cannot load your video from inside of the corporate network. Don't know what is the issue. Youtube itself works fine.

2. No, I cannot grasp the benefit in the first 15 seconds (and in first 5 minutes, too). You really need to clear who's your audience and what problem you solve. "Simplify" is way too generic term. I may not (and I do not) perceive the code history as complicated. Perhaps I'm wrong, but you need to show me.
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Wednesday, May 08, 2013
> 10,000 Unique Blobs

Huh? Blobs? What is blob? O_O
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Thanks for the feedback.  Can you elaborate more on the video not loading part?  The video source is youtube and you do say youtube works for you.  I didn't write the code for the video launcher but having quickly looked at it, I believe it is using an HTML IFrame which should behave just as if you were viewing it on youtube.

As for my target audience, it is Git users.  I was also planning on providing a further breakdown somewhere which shows how it will benefit you if you were a manager, developer, etc.  But it really is just a way to simplify working with Git.  I know it is a generic term but that's how I perceive it personally with my daily use of the tool.

For example just yesterday I wanted to find what part of my software was using the getKey() function.  I normally use the git grep feature which is really nice but it has some caveats.  And because my source contains  Java, JavaScript, Perl, and C and because getKey is a commonly used Java Map method, I just used my tool to search for getKey but I told it too only look for it in my JavaScript files.

The searching functionality is also based on my previous work experience  where I had to debug a lot of loads.  It was always painful because there was no easy way to search across a good load and the broken load at the same time.  In my tool it's dead simple.  You just pick the commit that passed a build/verification and pick the commit that is causing the problem and then you can browse and search these two timelines in parallel.

Maybe there is a better searching tool out there and/or maybe code searching isn't really that big of a deal for a lot of people.  I might change the order of my videos and lead off with one of the other videos.

Having spent a few years working with Git and having read forum post on it, I really do get a sense that people are just looking for an easy way to interact with it.  I'll see if I can come up with something more specific but simplify is really how I personally feel.  I just simplifies how I work with Git.

As for the blob question.  Are you a Git user?  I figured all Git user would know what a blob is but I could be wrong.  I also do answer this question at http://test.gitsense.com/plans.html#qa  I might need to make it more prominent but I always assumed if you know Git you would know what a blob is.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Terrence Send private email
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics