* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Google translate to make internatinal site

It seems to me that google translate does excellent job in translating from English to major languages likeFranch, Italian, Spanish...
Is there a way to get Google to crawl its own translated pages so that you can rank (quickly and easily)  in local googles (like google.fr or google.it)

I feel that somehow this can be done in  matter of  sheer half an hour only I don't see how yet...
Anyone done that?
alexandar Send private email
Monday, May 06, 2013

We use Google Translate to respond non-English question in technical support. We compose very simple sentences with common words. Google seems to translate such simple texts pretty good.

However, I'd hardly use Google Translate for translating serious technical and marketing texts on web site. Such text will look crappy like any machine translation.
Dennis Crane Send private email
Monday, May 06, 2013

Google won't include in its index web-pages translated via Google Translate unless the automatic translation functionality is wrapped in some way.

If you really want automatic translation of your website , then I suggest you look at something like GTranslate. Their website is

http://gtranslate.net/

We had GTranslate on our website for, I guess, around a year or two.

We no longer make use of it. It did actually work though.

Just make sure automatic translations is what you really want. Think hard about this.
NewToASPX Send private email
Monday, May 06, 2013

+1 to Dennis. You can't really rely on machine translation for marketing messages, as you often have to rely on culture-specific idioms, references, etc.
Scorpio Send private email
Monday, May 06, 2013

> However, I'd hardly use Google Translate
> for translating serious technical and
> marketing texts on web site.
> Such text will look crappy like any
> machine translation.

Completely agree! Google Translate is very useful tool, but it's a machine translation, so we cannot *rely* on it.
Denis Shevchenko Send private email
Monday, May 06, 2013

We went to a custom in Italy once and they were laughing at the translation of a technical product and asked if we got it off Google.  The guy that did the translation was from Italy, but he did use Google to do the translation, we found out later.  Definately a bit embarrassing.
SteveM Send private email
Monday, May 06, 2013

I have run a company website in multiple languages in a couple of years, and frankly, while Google Translate is increasingly good at producing a translation that can be "deciphered", it's very far from delivering anything acceptable for public facing materials.

In my experience, even "professional" translators tend to produce garbled translations whenever the English prose is ambiguous. High quality translation is complicated, sometime more complicated than writing software code IMHO.

My 2cts,
Joannes Vermorel - Lokad Sales Forecasting Send private email
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

A little experiment: take a paragraph from DesktopMetronom.com (this is I believe the alexandar's site?):

Whether you are a composer, a band member, a master of your instrument, or just love playing for your own pleasure soon you will find this backing tracks maker  to be an indispensable companion.

Now translate it to Russian using Google Translate:

Если вы композитор, участник группы, мастер своего инструмента, или просто люблю играть для собственного удовольствия скоро вы найдете этот чайник минусовки, чтобы быть незаменимым спутником.

Hilarious! The site now apparently sells musical kettles!

For the benefit of the non-Russian speaking members, let's translate it back with the very same Google Translate:

If you are a composer, band member, a master of his instrument, or just love playing for your own pleasure soon you will find this kettle backing tracks to be an indispensable companion.

As this shows, while Google is getting good, it still lacks context, and anyone using it for publishing something opens themselves to LOLs.
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

@ "Now translate it to Russian using Google Translate:"
That is why I'm using it for normal world languages like French or German bit of Italian and Spanish... They are supposed to work OK.. I tested them by translating for example:
English --> French
Than that French that Google outputed I feef back to Google so I got :
French -->English
And comparing original English and English after double re-translating I find that the translation is reasonable
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

To ilustrate here is a passage from E.A.Poe's 'cask of amontillado'. what I did is translate original to Italian than Italian translation to English, see how they are very similar:
Original:
AT LENGTH I would be avenged; this was a point definitively settled -- but the very definitiveness with which it was resolved precluded the idea of risk.

English -->Italian-->English:
In the long run, I had to be avenged, and this was finally, irrevocably fixed, but the same perfection of my resolution excluded any idea of ​​danger.

And I must say - not only it comes out OK but retains some literary quality previously not existing  in Poe's original
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

See the whole text (made with my text aligner):
http://www.twinreads.com/amontillado/ch3.html
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

> That is why I'm using it for normal world languages like French or German bit of Italian and Spanish...

Normal languages? You know how to make friends.

Try translating the same phrase to French and back. You'll see that you'd rank for quite a different phrase in French than in English. This is not what you want, I guess.
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Thursday, May 09, 2013

@ Valdimir "Normal languages? You know how to make friends."

Was that you who said in another topic that "Alexandar is a remarkable %$#^"  ?

Is that how you make friends?
Friday, May 10, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics