* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Crack Honeypot 2

Interesting article on selling games and dealing with cracked versions.
http://www.greenheartgames.com/2013/04/29/what-happens-when-pirates-play-a-game-development-simulator-and-then-go-bankrupt-because-of-piracy/

Summary: A game developer released two versions of their game at the same time. A version labeled as a cracked version released through torrents and one labeled normally through a store front. Each one does anonymous reporting of stats. After one day 93.6% (3104)  users were using the 'cracked' version.

The is a game developer simulator. He did make some changes to the cracked version. It had a limitation where the more popular the game the worse of progressing would be due to in game piracy. They actually got a lot of feed back from users of the cracked game asking or suggesting of things they can do to overcome the in game piracy so they could make money.
TrippinOnIT Send private email
Wednesday, May 01, 2013

'The is a game developer simulator.' -> The game is a game developer simulator.
Wednesday, May 01, 2013

That's simultaneously brilliant, funny and sad.
Doug Send private email
Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Fantastic bit of research. Hopefully it'll open some eyes and at the same time get some good publicity for the devs.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Great marketing.
Scorpio Send private email
Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Thinking about it... exactly the kind of people who might like to play a game about building a games company are exactly the same kind who would read news articles about people who like playing a game about building a games company but still pirate software.

Try saying that all at once without tripping up.

This still blows my mind a while after reading. It's go genius I hope some major outlets pick it up.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Genius. I hope they get loads of publicity from it. But I bet many of the pirates don't even spot the irony.
Andy Brice Send private email
Wednesday, May 01, 2013

I think it's a great experiment at looking at piracy. Unfortunately I don't think the game will profit the company much. But it may give them exposure for other titles.

I think it also shows that if you did purposely put out a defective cracked version of consumer software that it can backfire and generate more negative reaction to your software than positive sales.
Wednesday, May 01, 2013

>it can backfire and generate more negative reaction to your software than positive sales.

Who cares what the pirates think?
Andy Brice Send private email
Wednesday, May 01, 2013

"Why are there so many people that pirate? It ruins me!" - LOL, a pirate asks why people pirate.

@TrippinOnIT - the more people discuss about the product (negative or positive, doesn't matter) - the more sales will be.

There are lots of non-working cracks published by noob crackers. Also there are cracks joined with viruses or trojans.
It doesn't hurt anyone (pirates doesn't count) and IMO this is a good thing: it makes it harder to find a really working crack.

I think soon people will get used to 'surprises' in cracked versions of software.
Kuzmitskiy Dmitry Send private email
Wednesday, May 01, 2013

I heard about this game because the article was mentioned on slashdot yesterday.  It's a genius marketing move.
I bought the game.  It's pretty good.
DanDan Send private email
Wednesday, May 01, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics