* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Reddit Ads

I ask this question because I need to manage a relatively finite advertising budget.  The product/service that I need to advertise is aimed at a very well defined market niche.  I have identified three ways of getting to them

a. Old fashioned Google ads with a decent pick of adsense keywords
b. Stackoverflow where we can do pretty much what we can do with adsense on Google but get to the right people in a far more focused way.
c. Reddit ads for selected sub-reddits.  A rather nice feature of Reddit is that given that the ad appears like a post and can be commented upon we have some immediate feedback to use to monitor the value we are getting for our money.

If reading between the lines this sounds like I have a preference for Reddit - well, correct.  However, being a relative newbie to the game I thought I would collect a few opinions prior to writing that cheque. 

Do redditers look at the paid post type ads?  Do they actually provide feedback or does the "its just an ad" reaction kick in immediately.  Finally, are there any other places where we can focus on a well defined audience the way we can with Stackoverflow and Reddit?
Atul Vaidya Send private email
Friday, April 26, 2013

Why bother with opinions when you can easily get real numbers?

You should easily be able to get an answer to this by running a small experiment. I suspect a few hundred dollars will be sufficient to get you your answer (unless there is a substantial minimum buy threshold on stackoverflow or reddit).
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, April 26, 2013

+1 to Andy for testing.

Also, if as I suspect you're targeting IT people, you should probably assume they'll have an ad-blocker, so may never see your adverts anyway. Just thinking out loud, but something to bear in mind.
Scorpio Send private email
Saturday, April 27, 2013

Definitely sounds like something worth testing.
Scott Send private email
Saturday, April 27, 2013

I heard reddit ads are doing very OK. The guy from DuckDuckGo has a write up in his blog IIRC.

The only problem is that you need a US credit card.
Jeremy Morassi Send private email
Saturday, April 27, 2013

Personal story: might not be applicable to your case.

One of our best selling products gets mentioned on a focused and popular sub Reddit quite often. This leads to a lot of traffic and downloads, but it never leads to a sale. Never, not once.

This is a product with a huge download / sales conversion rate - best we've ever had. But Redditors do not buy, even though the sub Reddit is the perfect niche for the product. They download the trial, or the limited free version, they talk about how great it is on Reddit, but they never whip out a credit card.

There's no cracked version of this product available either, meaning these Redditors are simply not purchasers. All talk, no action (but I'll leave my personal opinion of Redditors out of this).

Anyway, that's our Reddit story. Make of it what you will. I think you'll be wasting your money if you're looking to sell a product rather than give it away for free.
Rona Elias Send private email
Sunday, April 28, 2013

@Rona is your product a consumer product?

I often thought that reddit ads would be excellent for software products for businesses because a lot of redditors are tangentially or directly involved in IT for their company.
Bring back anon Send private email
Sunday, April 28, 2013

It's a consumer product. Retails at $50.
Sunday, April 28, 2013

@Rona then I could have told you it's a bad idea if you had asked earlier :)

What kind of advertising works for you?
Bring back anon Send private email
Sunday, April 28, 2013

What's a bad idea? Being mentioned on Reddit? I never said that was a bad idea, simply that it's irrelevant.  And if free Reddit traffic has no value, paid for traffic from the same source would have even less.
Sunday, April 28, 2013

Thank you for the various comments.  What you say regarding ad blockers is interesting, Scorpio.  I had assumed that given that Reddit ads are merely posts that appear more prominently they would not be susceptible to being filtered out.
Atul Vaidya Send private email
Monday, April 29, 2013

The adverts on reddit are obvious and highlighted, so it is trivial to filter them out. Also, there's the "Gold" option to get rid of them anyway.

It may not make a difference, but it is best to know, which brings us back to Andy's original testing point.
Scorpio Send private email
Monday, April 29, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics