* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

JoelonSoftware unicode programming

i'm posting here in response to a 2003 blog post of Joel's about programmers not coding correctly to handle unicode multi-byte character sets.
 http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html
i think a decade later, some still don't!

i've been e-mailing Hootsuite, the twitter client, because when anyone composes a tweet like this in Hootsuite:

Troubleshooting hootsuite tweets with unicode characters ���������� and a link goofs up the display of the tweet http://ow.ly/kjv8b

when sent will actually display in Hootsuite like this:

Troubleshooting hootsuite tweets with unicode characters ���������� and a link goofs up the display of the tow.ly/kjv8bLPDXf

back then, Joel said "if you are a programmer working in 2003 and you don't know the basics of characters, character sets, encodings, and Unicode, and I catch you, I'm going to punish you by making you peel onions for 6 months in a submarine. I swear I will."

It seems to me that Hootsuite hasn't been programmed to handle 2-byte unicode characters so i just wanted to tell him to get the submarine ready!
DyNama Norman Send private email
Monday, April 22, 2013

well, the unicode characters don't display here! they were U+1F495 (two hearts) U+1F478 (princess) U+1F497 U+1F601 U+1F44D (thumbs up).
DyNama Norman Send private email
Monday, April 22, 2013

This forum uses a font family of "Verdana,'Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif". Beyond Unicode support, don't characters like that require a font that supports them as well?
Nicholas Hebb Send private email
Monday, April 22, 2013

Взрыв огромным консервным ножом вспорол корпус ракеты. Людей выбросило в космос, подобно дюжине трепещущих серебристых рыб. Их разметало в черном океане, а корабль, распавшись на миллион осколков, полетел дальше, словно рой метеоров в поисках затерянного Солнца.
alexandar Send private email
Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Somebody is a Ray Bradbury fan
Sergey Kornilov Send private email
Friday, April 26, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics