* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Women again...

I have reffered here many times to women being such dificult customers...This I thought and this I think.
Nearly 100% of them always have to ask something - that is so annoying indeed...
Anyway I got new one for you - this time I'm really cornered by one of them:
She buys a product, it works OK, it is installed OK, but... You know how shareit,avangate, and such like to send highly formal delivery confirmation emails. Well they often like to use word 'licence' in them like 'Thanks for your purchase- your licence has been sent etc...'
Now she wants guess what? LICENCE ... she wants a licence, she says in her email 'where is my licence'?!
What Am I to reply to that? She wants me to show her the LICENCE...Where do i find one to show it to her?
Please advice
alexandar Send private email
Monday, April 22, 2013

Ok, she bought a license and now she wants it. How is that unreasonable?

Clearly you're leaving something out of this story.
Wyatt O'Day Send private email
Monday, April 22, 2013

Clearly I'm not...
I have 1000s of customers and no one ever asked to show them the licence...I always thought 'we sent you  the licence' was more formal way of really saying 'OK we sent you what you paid for, let's go our separate ways now...'
I admit she is right technically...But what am I supposed to do now? Send her a glossy piece of paper with her name on it and word 'licence'? A Diploma  like ?
I'm confused and disgusted.
All right I'm not disgusted but very nearly to it
Monday, April 22, 2013

She's likely expecting a product key (a.k.a. a license). Did you send her one? Or does your product not have licensing?

If you sent her a product key then explain that *that* is a license. If your product doesn't have licensing, well then explain to her the email is inaccurate, apologize, then fix the email so it doesn't say that anymore.

It sounds like this is a lost in translation moment.
Monday, April 22, 2013

She got full version of the software upon purchasing it.
No serial number or any of the kind, just plain working software without demo limitations
Monday, April 22, 2013

>I have reffered here many times to women being such dificult customers...

Obviously someone is being difficult. Perhaps it is 50% of the worlds population or perhaps its you. I wonder...
Andy Brice Send private email
Monday, April 22, 2013

"You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole." - Raylan Givens, Justified.

lol, winkie ;-), jk and all that.

Alexandar, just tell her that software licenses often are in the form of a license key (aka registration code) that unlocks the software. After she purchased, she was provided a full version, which is equivalent to having the license embedded in the software.

For anecdotal balance, I've had a few customers enter the PayPal or Fastspring transaction Id into the registration form, thinking it was the license key. All of them were male.
Nicholas Hebb Send private email
Monday, April 22, 2013

@ Andy Brice
"Obviously someone is being difficult. Perhaps it is 50% of the worlds population or perhaps its you. I wonder..."

Andy I understand your urge to speak up for woman. Being the maker of world's best wedding tables software any other reaction on your part would have been less than appropriate.
And for that I admire you
Monday, April 22, 2013

@ Andy
You also make movies. Short ones too - they are more artistic no doubt :)
Just saw that on your site couldn't help making a joke
Monday, April 22, 2013

I do have a lot of female customers (compared with a lot of other software vendors) and 99% of them are very pleasant to deal with.
Monday, April 22, 2013

Just tell them the order number is their license number, and if they ever need to reinstall they might need that number if downloading again.

Done.

No need for drama.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Monday, April 22, 2013

Often, people do not think of how their communication will be perceived by others.  You might know that you sent a licence, but your customer might not understand that.  Read your E-mail from the point of view of someone who does not know the terms that you use; you might find weak points.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Monday, April 22, 2013

I think I commented on this whenever the last time alex went on about this.

Only a minority of our customers are women, but they do not represent any additional support burden whatsoever. If anything they are less trouble since we don't get the hostile bully customers with lots of demands and threats in that segment.
Scott Send private email
Monday, April 22, 2013

Well it has escalated in last 24 hours... To my disgust (now I use this word rightly) I was snowed under her emails during the course of yesterday... she was writing long emails using CAPITAL letters to STRESS important parts and to be honest she scared the hell out of me...Worst she didn't EM to read my answers at all (only she did - I know by some references that she made)

WOW... I say wow...
I looked her email up on the INTERNET and all right she is a landlady with a little 17 rooms house in England.. ANS She has INN for renting  (haven't seen that -INN- word since I read invisible man by H.G. Wales many and many a year ago)

So I new full well what to do ...I slowly went to avangate interface and refunded... than I wrote her an email...well she will remember it

All in all she did act like a crazy person...and I wonder if there is a way to prevent female customers from buying... but it is yet to be invented - something like geo-location but for gender
Tuesday, April 23, 2013

>than I wrote her an email...well she will remember it

Congratulations. I'm sure she is now telling everyone she knows what a wonderful service you provide.
Tuesday, April 23, 2013

alexandar - it bothers me that you're at least partly serious with all this sexist rubbish.

Transpose "black people" or "Croatian" with "women". Is it acceptable to make such sweeping generalisations about them? No. It's not only in poor taste it's also factually rubbish.

I'll remind myself of your feelings regarding more than 50% of humanity next time I'm tempted to help you out by answering one of your questions.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Why Croatian ?
Tuesday, April 23, 2013

I'm not making generalizations about woman - why would I want to do such a silly thing ?
I'm just reporting my experience with them as customers of my particular products. It is a fact for me. You know that good filling when you see 'New Order...' email in your in-box? Well I do not rejoice  at all if I see a female name in it - because I know it is going to be torturing.
Good thing is I rarely have female buyers but  of that few that I do have 99% are always asking for support in less then 24h after purchase. And than they are so difficult to cope with...I'm not inventing this this is a fact for me.
Why would you call me a sexist so fast? That is ridiculous...
Also I have noticed couple other things:
The French - they hesitate to speak international language which nowadays happen to be English
The Germans - well curious thing..among other products I have a metronome...and 90% of sales go to Germany...which confirms the myth about their punctuality and precision

Would you call me a racist now for simply noticing those patterns in my sales?
C'mon people...think before posing here don't let your personal animosities shape your posts and thoughts
Tuesday, April 23, 2013

> C'mon people...think before posing here don't let your personal animosities shape your posts and thoughts

Physician, heal thyself.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Tuesday, April 23, 2013

@ Physician, heal thyself.

What is that supposed to mean? I'm not a physician. Thyself?!  Not a Shakespelogist either..
Tuesday, April 23, 2013

It's a quote, and not from Shakespeare.
Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Alexandar...you write great programs but your people skills need developing.  There's no need to be so misogynistic.  This lady is actually offering you some valuable advice and feedback.  There are some badly worded terms in your licensing emails that need addressing so be thankful to her for pointing them out and improve them.
DanDan Send private email
Wednesday, April 24, 2013

One of my apps is a developer-focused product. I've experienced both extremes with women: very helpful and torture.

Men on the other hand... They're never helpful. One told me to kill myself once. That was nice.
Bring back anon Send private email
Thursday, April 25, 2013

@ Bring back "One told me to kill myself once."
Well according to the prevailing outlook here what you did not realise is that he was actualy doing you a favor, you should have thanked him
Thursday, April 25, 2013

As long as you thank him before acting on his advice.  You have two options, accept the suggestion which makes delivering the thank you note afterwards a logistical nightmare, or ignore the suggestion but thank him anyway, in which case you will confound him and entertain yourself.
Howard Ness Send private email
Thursday, April 25, 2013

Bring back anon: "Men on the other hand... They're never helpful. One told me to kill myself once. That was nice."

Your generality is just as wrong as OP's.  I am a man.  I am helpful when I call technical support.  By the time that I do, I have tried various reasonable things and can report on them clearly.  Sometimes, support people listen; sometimes, they do not.

I spoke last week with someone who used to work at my previous ISP.  One of the things that he said in our conversation was that my support calls were useful.  Generally, I would call about services being down or slow.

What did you do about that jerk?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Friday, April 26, 2013

Yeah, never was way too strong. Still, telling me to kill myself was funny.
Bring back anon Send private email
Sunday, April 28, 2013

Dear Alexandar,

Perhaps the language used to communicate to your customers is the key. It is crucial to speak to them in a language they can understand, after all not everybody is born an expert.

I think the solution to your problem would be customizable confirmation e-mails. PayPro Global offers this feature as a standard.
Valeriu Braghis Send private email
Tuesday, May 07, 2013

>I think the solution to your problem would be customizable confirmation e-mails.

Yes, I'm sure that the ability to customize payment processor emails is absolutely the best way to cure him of his misogyny.
Tuesday, May 07, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics