* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

when project terminates what happens with licensed users ?

I am sole developer and want to sell an app that I've developed,but I cannot estimate whether it will be successfull or not;most probably not successfull but it's a bit like let's do it and see.
Since the app is shareware whoever wants to use it after a free time period has to purchase a license.
Of course I will have to support any paying users

The problem is that if I at some point see that it is not worth selling it  anymore becuase of low sales and want to termoinate the project,what happens to the users already purchased a license ?
Should I still support them ?
Should I incude a clause in the EULA that states that I can terminate the license/project at anytime without reason

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks!
Mike_ Send private email
Tuesday, April 16, 2013

"Should I incude a clause in the EULA that states that I can terminate the license/project at anytime without reason" -- Yes, but don't panic them.  Phrase it carefully, so that it sounds trivial and not likely to happen.
Harry Phace Send private email
Tuesday, April 16, 2013

First of all, don't call it shareware. It's a trial version that can be unlocked. If you say shareware people will think you old fashioned.

If your software requires a server that you will be supplying then you could easily promise that the server will be running for however many months you reasonably think you can afford. For example, services will run for at least one year after the last person buys it.

If your software is stand alone, I don't think it's reasonable to say that you may arbitrarily and unilaterally cancel the licence at any time. Most EULAs don't promise that the software will be maintained until eternity. I know that most people don't read these things but if one person does and then blogs about how bad your licence is, then it's game over.
koan Send private email
Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, April 16, 2013

When project terminates its users vanish at the same time

-----Rod Serling
alexandar Send private email
Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Do you want to cancel the license, which means that you want to revoke my right to use the software that I have paid for? For sure, I won't buy the app when I discover this in the EULA, and I will warn my friends about this.

Or do you want to cancel any support, which means that I can continue to use it, but shouldn't expect any answers to my mails when I have questions or problems? Well, I won't expect lifetime support for a low budget app, so I would be fine with this.
Secure Send private email
Thursday, April 18, 2013

>Or do you want to cancel any support, which means that I can >continue to use it, but shouldn't expect any answers to my mails >when I have questions or problems?

that exactly! Should I include a clause about that in the EULA ?
Mike_ Send private email
Friday, April 19, 2013

Maybe. If you have to be asked what exactly do you mean by "terminating the license", then I recommend that you *don't* try to roll your own EULA. Consulting a lawyer may be well invested money.
Secure Send private email
Friday, April 19, 2013

I don't think investing money in layer is a good idea.

One of the reasons not to bother with EULA: no one reads EULAs - http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?biz.5.836029.37

Just create a good app and then you don't have to terminate it :)
Kuzmitskiy Dmitry Send private email
Saturday, April 20, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics