* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

I don't know about backlinks anymore...that is stupid

Well I have never had luck with back-links although have been posting to forums, blogs... all I get is those links from download sites (and even them are a few only)

That is ridiculous...How can a normal person get back-links?!?! There is no need for anyone to put back-links on their sites about small business products which are noting to write home about. (not because they are bad but because that is the course of nature...)

And those competitors of mine...I don't see that they have better back-links at all  (though they have tons of them)

I'm saying this because I'd like to exchange links with some of you here who are in similar products,. I believe it can't hurt anyone:
Here is my site:
http://tinyurl.com/c72apb4

Use my contact form or email to contact me
alexandar Send private email
Friday, April 12, 2013

IIRC link exchanges don't do you much good - the link juice can cancel out. Although perhaps someone with more off site seo knowledge than me can correct that.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Friday, April 12, 2013

Reciprocal links do indeed cancel each other out, unless one is a lot more 'powerful' than the other.

The incoming link thing is essentially a 'vote' about your site.

You don't need more votes that Youtube or such, just more votes than the other 'nothing to write home about' products in your niche.

Google is also using a lot more than just incoming links now. Check out SEOBook  for more understanding.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Friday, April 12, 2013

Really cool product you have there! 

3 "outside the box" ideas for backlinks:

You have 330 youtube subscribers, see which of those people have websites and ask them for a link, or if you can write a guest post on their site.  Or at the least post a unique video to their youtube page (with a link back to you).  That should net you a few links.  If they want a backlink, backlink them from a video description on your youtube page won't cost you any juice.

Join every big forum about music and ask people in the forums what you can do to make your software better.  Talk about the specific things you are working on as they relate to your money keywords and make sure the keywords are in the thread title.  I am sure people in the community would be happy to discuss this with you, the link won't be spam, and you will have some free input on how to make your product better.  You can even give out one or two free versions by private message to entice people into the conversation.  Those links should give you a boost as well.

You probably come in contact with a lot of musicians.  Most of them will have websites.  Start a blog section on your site and then create some artist of the month / and artist of the year award. Make a nice cool emblem thingy and a text link back to you.  With the award you will write a  custom article in your blog section on why they are so great with a few great shots of them.  That is not going to work on Madonna.  But most starting musicians will be happy to put a link to your site, when you are one of the few places or only place writing great things about them.
C. Stark Send private email
Monday, April 15, 2013

@ C. Stark
Thanks for taking your time to come up with some suggestions which are not just usual 'write comments on peoples blogs'  stuff

Checked out seobook...well... what a mess of  a site but obviously they are doing something right, right ?
Monday, April 15, 2013

Stupid, you say? How about some stats?

In the first quarter of 2013, visits originating from organic search and referrals resulted in nearly identical numbers of trial downloads for us.

However, organic search accounted for about 55% of the total number of visits, and referrals for just 30%.

So for us those links are nearly twice as effective compared to organic search, at least in terms of the number of trial downloads. (We are not capable of linking trials to sales yet - our product is B2B priced in the four-figure range, so we don't get (m)any impulse purchases.)

Best of all, we don't depend solely on Google for traffic that converts.

YMMV, but do not write incoming links off just yet.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Tuesday, April 16, 2013

@ Dimitry
I didn't mean backlinks are stupid... What I meant is that whole that story about how to get them is stupid:
-Ask a bloger to put your link
-Comment on peoples blogs
-Write articles (for Gods sake I would have been a journalist had I wanted to write articles)
-Offer your ass if someone puts your link

Yet none of these work anyway...
Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Correction: the above stats are for visits to the download page. As for actual downloads, visitors arriving via a referral link were 30% more likely to initiate a download compared to those originating from a SERP. So links are even more effective for us than I initially thought.
Tuesday, April 16, 2013

>I'd like to exchange links with some of you here who are in similar products

Please lets not turn BOS into somewhere you come to request link exchange. Google is wise to link exchange anyway.
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, April 16, 2013

@alexandar: I wrote a few articles of general interest to our target audience (Java developers) and had been adding "For more information, please see my article XYZ" to my answers on a popular Q&A site (StackOverflow) and in some other forums for some time.

Now I see people I don't know linking to one of those articles every week. I do not do anything to get those links, beside making sure the articles stay up to date.

I am sure you could do the same, and you won't have to beg anyone for a backlink.
Tuesday, April 16, 2013

@ Andy "Please lets not turn BOS into somewhere you come to request link exchange. "

Yeah!!! Let's not turn it into that!
Tuesday, April 16, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics