* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Is it easy to find a job for a software engineer in U.S.A?

I'm near 41, and I have 13 years software developing experience. Could anyone tell if it is easy to get a job in U.S.A after I get a green card?

Best Regards

Leo
leo sommor Send private email
Sunday, April 07, 2013

Generally, you should not have too hard a time finding a job here.
cn Send private email
Sunday, April 07, 2013

The trouble for newcomers is usually a lack of local references. Not every HR is ready to take a risk and hire someone nobody local can vouch for. After you've got your first job, even if a temp/contract, the rest is pretty easy.

If your native country's customs are different from USA, you should adjust your manners (as I had to do). Learn how people communicate and how they behave during the interview. What is expected and what's not. What kind of jokes are appropriate. How to refer to potentially unfavourable events in your past. How to structure your emails.
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Although I am a native citizen of the US, I have 12 year of software development experience.  Getting that first job was tough, as the previous person mentioned, it's tough getting references to vouch for you. 

These days, I have to fight off the recruiters and others finding me asking to take on projects....and I am not even that good.
Prime Suspect Send private email
Tuesday, April 09, 2013

this is really vague. The US is very large. It depends where you move to. You will need to be able to show up for a face to face interview at your own expense. Very few companies will fly you in at their expense.

are you on an h1b now and are looking to job hop to get a better wage with a greencard? If so you can use co-workers for references in the US.

its more important to be good and be able to pass a technical screen. there are 'jobs', but it depends where you live, what you do as a software developer, and how good you are.
Contractor Send private email
Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Work on your linkedin profile. Get some good recommendations.

In my opinion most important quality is to have Getting Things Done attitude. Everything else can be learnt.
Team@QikTester Send private email
Thursday, April 11, 2013

It is easy for a good programmer to find a job anywhere in the world.  There are always tons of firms of all shapes and sizes looking for programmers all over the US.  They are paying very high salaries now for experienced Droid developers. 

But as a foreigner, the USA has some really nasty work visa requirements.  If you don't already have legal permission to work in the USA, the company hiring you will need to apply for some special H1B visa for you to work there.  It costs money to apply for one.  And I think the government will only give out 65,000 of these per year out of over 1 million applications.  That is only about a 5% success rate when applying. 

When I had a company in the US we had to deal with this issue a few times with non citizens we wanted to hire.  We never got anywhere with the visas, spent a bunch in legal fees, and eventually just gave up. 

In order to receive H1b visa you must meet a bunch of ridiculous standards and the company must prove that they couldn't have found better within the US work force.
C. Stark Send private email
Monday, April 15, 2013

just noticed the "Green Card" line in your comment.  If you have a Green Card it is no problem.  Without one it will be easier for a camel to enter through the eye of needle.
C. Stark Send private email
Monday, April 15, 2013

In 2005 and 2006, I was working in the U.S.A. for a firm that I have done work for for many years.  I am Canadian.  The company got me a TN (Treaty NAFTA) work visa.  There were hoops to jump through.  That is why I wrote that the company got me the visa rather than that I got it.  The company had a good immigration lawyer.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Monday, April 15, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics