* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Maybe some of you might find this useful...

On this forum, a fair number of people are always looking for feedback on new websites.  That's great, but a bit of user testing might bring a touch more insight and so I've decided to turn my previous (commercial) product into a slightly paired-down, free version.

http://kupima.com

Feel free to give it a try; it's not perfect (I know of a few minor teething issues, some of which I've listed before).  Think of it as a way of organising video feedback for your website, which doesn't require participants to have screencasting software installed.  And, it's free to use (no hidden agenda, nothing to flog you).

I'd appreciate any feedback too.  Feedback on the feedback site, as it were.

Thanks.

Minor outstanding issues (which I will fix over the next week):
1. Video upload progress bar not showing;
2. Editing response view existing video not working properly.
3. Screen recorder shows up java warnings; code-signed version due to be deployed soon - for now, please ignore the warnings, trust me, no malware involved :)
John Clark Send private email
Saturday, March 23, 2013

Doesn't mean it is worthless if nobody responses here
alexandar Send private email
Monday, April 01, 2013

Thanks.  Initial uptake has been slow, but then I've still a few little technical gremlins to sort out before I push it properly. 

If nothing else, it's a good portfolio item to use to get a semi-decent job.  Though being able to conceive, design, create and launch a product seems to matter not a jot in my local market.  Such is life.

Anyone looking to hire? I make a good cup of tea :-)
Monday, April 01, 2013

Thanks John, looks really interesting.
I guess your tool can only be used for websites, right?
I'd be even more interested if the tool could test Windows desktop applications aswell. Obviously it would have to include a screen recorder, which presents a technical challenge.
restless Send private email
Monday, April 01, 2013

"I guess your tool can only be used for websites, right?
I'd be even more interested if the tool could test Windows desktop applications aswell. Obviously it would have to include a screen recorder, which presents a technical challenge."

No, not at all - you can use it to record whatever kind of app you like.  The test itself might need to include instructions for users to download your app, and there's the issue of trust (unless your users already know/trust you enough to install a new version of an app, say) but no reason you couldn't.  The screen recorder is a browser-hosted java applet which pops up a sizable frame which you drag over whatever you want to record.  So, instead of dragging it over your web browser, you'd drag it over the app instead. 

I've tried this on my Mac but to be honest nobody ever tried this 'in real life' with the site, so I can't guarantee it would work perfectly, but in theory at least there is no reason why it wouldn't (provided you can live with the current java security popup messages that the applet is throwing - which I need to get sorted tbh).
Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely try that sometime in the next months, and I'll let you know how it goes.
restless Send private email
Tuesday, April 02, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics