* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

A/B testing tool recommendations?

I used to  be quite happy with Google website optimizer, but Google have now retired it (I am seeing a pattern here!). I am looking for an alternative.

My requirements are modest. I just want to show 2 or 3 versions of a page and be told when one is 95% likely to give a better conversion rate. It mustn't slow down page load times too much. Multivariate might be nice, but is probably not essential.

I am aware of these:

Google Analytics Content Experiments
www.optimizely.com
visualwebsiteoptimizer.com

The latter 2 seem rather expensive.

Any recommendations?
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, March 22, 2013

I've so far done one experiment with analytics experiments; it seemed to work pretty much the same as website optimizer, which was fine for me.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Friday, March 22, 2013

Andy how come you ask such a begginers question? On the other side I like seeing that you too are only a human being :)

Being on similar topic I have wondered recently about showing American people different order page than  others because I've noticed that Americans are much more sensitive to any of current economic issues.  Like for example someone says 'sequester' and they all stop buying...
So I' d like to have a different price for them , say a 20% off  of what others pay
alexandar Send private email
Saturday, March 23, 2013

I use Google Analytics Events for this. As far as I could tell, the Content Experiments are single page tests, and I needed something to A/B test site wide. I ended up writing a php script that generates the A/B options and create the javascript needed to track the event actions with GA. I set a cookie to ensure that the visitor is shown the same A/B content throughout the site.
Nicholas Hebb Send private email
Saturday, March 23, 2013

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=JT6fGPrgu2c

Andy, contact me if you'd like to try my script.
S. Tanna Send private email
Sunday, March 24, 2013

Thanks Sunil. I think I will try analytics content experiments to start with and see how I get on.
Andy Brice Send private email
Thursday, March 28, 2013

I wrote my own in PHP, as I couldn't find any PHP-based tools, and GWO can not track different kinds of conversions (e.g. downloads and sales -- if a certain optimization increases downloads but reduces sales, with GWO you have no way of knowing).
Takes 4-5 hours for a very crude first version.

I didn't build any report functionality in it, I just evaluate my experiments by hand, which takes about 10 minutes.

I can recommend this approach for anyone looking for something free and simple.
restless Send private email
Friday, March 29, 2013

We use Optimizely quite heavily and are VERY happy with it. We run many hundreds of concurrent experiments - some of them are complex flow experiments that must be "manually" developed, but for the simpler experiments we try to always use Optimizely.

If you have specific questions about them I'd love to answer (to the best of my knowledge).
Roee Adler Send private email
Thursday, April 04, 2013

Hi all,
I am  looking for a tool to a/b test a new design site wide.
It would be sufficient to be able to exchange between two css files, e.g. to test different header images or background colours.
A visitor should see the same design while surfing on all pages. It also should be trackable, preferably in G-Analytics.
For I know next to nothing about Java, I'd prefer a php script. Can anybody something suitable?
Thank you and kind regards
H. Fuchs
Hildegard Fuchs Send private email
Thursday, April 11, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics