* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Selling software on Amazon?

To continue from here: http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?biz.5.851784.18

Does anyone have experience selling software on Amazon? It looks like a lot of software that can be bought directly from the vendors is also available on Amazon. There must be a reason why Microsoft lists Visual Studio on Amazon, right?
B2B Send private email
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
I'd imagine that as discussed, more and more people are frustrated by the crap that Google is serving up in the search results and as a result, prefer to shop for products directly on Amazon.

I've contacted them to see if I can sell my software (download only) and I am currently waiting to hear back from them. If it is possible, then I would also consider putting a "Buy it on Amazon" button on my site, as I'm sure more people would purchase as a result, as it eliminates any security concerns about using a credit card with an eCommerce provider that they have never heard of.

People that use Amazon frequently tend to have a very high level of trust for it.
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
I have seen software vendors selling their apps on Ebay for the same reason.  People can get the app at a good price and they already buy from Ebay.

Microsoft selling Visual Studio thru Amazon is not unexpected.  It is also sold at Programmers Paradise, NewEgg, and many more places.
SteveM Send private email
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
You can use Amazon as a platform for selling your products from your own site (i/e link to your product page from your site's sales page). They do take a bite out of your overall sales, though, and integration to key servers doesn't exist as far as I can tell.

I have three b2b software products listed on Amazon. I have not found it to be a particularly lucrative way to sell my products.  I have made very few sales as a result of just showing up on Amazon, and fulfilling them involves a manual process for me right now. I've decided that Amazon is just not how people find me right now, and no one really seems to be searching for my niche on Amazon.

That's not to say it might not work well for different products. Games would probably do well in the Amazon app store.  For me the advantage of being listed on Amazon is primarily a small SEO signal to Google.

Only way to find out if is to give it a shot.

Currently I sell virtually all of my products directly using Ultracart and my own merchant account. I find I get the best margin that way and I can also directly capture the CD sales revenue with an integration to Kunaki. It's more work than going through a Fastspring or DigitalRiver; you have to do the math to see if its worth it or not.
Darren Send private email
Friday, March 15, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics