* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Google Application Search

Looks like it is aggregating the main download sites.
Ducknald Don Send private email
Monday, March 11, 2013
Really bad news.

Google Play and file catalogues have occupied top-10 results.

Try to search "photo editor" for example.

I hardly imagine that users want to see Android apps when they search on *Windows* for "photo editor".

Results of searching are absolutely useless.
Igor Kokarev Send private email
Monday, March 11, 2013
"Try to search 'photo editor'"
For me:
1.  pixlr
2.  pixlr
3.  iPiccy
4.  FotoFlexer
5.  BeFunky
6.  PicMonkey
7.  Photo Editor - Android apps on Google Play
8.  Photo! Editor (link to landing page for desktop application, but they have an online version as well)
9.    A Photo Editor (online magazine edited by by Rob Haggart, the former Director of Photography for Men's Journal and Outside Magazine)
10.  Online Photo Editor (it is what its name says)

So I tried "photo editor not a toy""
1.  Webcam Toy
2.  pixlr
3.  Not A Toy: Radical Character Design in Fashion and Costume [Hardcover] (link to Amazon)
4.  feedio.net linking to pixlr
5.  Not A Toy: Radical Character Design in Fashion and Costume [Hardcover] (link to Amazon.co.uk )
6.  brothersoft.com download link for Toycamera AnalogColor (which appears to be a serious Java app to make your digital photos look like they came from a toy camera)
7.  photobucket link to a monotone text slide titled "my heart is a muscle not a toy"
8.  dphotojournal.com download link to an old version of Toycamera AnalogColor, along with a comment requesting help to install the program (which was never replied to)
9.  link to pdf titled "Microsoft Photo Editor - Toy Library Pamphlet" (appears to be a one page brochure created in Microsoft Word and posted online by activelearninglibraries.org.za)
10.  lifeinlofi.com review of BeFunky titled "Photo App Review: BeFunky Photo Editor Pro – Improved, But Still a Toy"

If Google's tracking was working, it would know I searched for Photoshop Elements, Paintshop Pro and the upgrade for SilkyPix about 6 months ago to find a better way to process RAW images in bulk.  I don't see evidence that Google is trying to push its app store on us, but it obviously has no sense of irony and it seems to assume that online searchers are looking for online apps.  This little exercise does make me reconsider how good Google's algorithms are.
Howard Ness Send private email
Monday, March 11, 2013
"I hardly imagine that users want to see Android apps when they search on *Windows* for "photo editor"."

You can filter the search by platform, it doesn't help much though.
Ducknald Don Send private email
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
The results are anything but vendor's web site. Sad. I hope this crap won't become popular.

For my app, the first result is "Softonic.com" with 4 years old screenshots, a copy-paste of my news (they call it "Softonic Review") and they say it's not compatible with Windows 7 (that's a lie).

I don't like that things are moving towards increasing distance between customers and vendors. Companies like app stores, download archives are trying to become a middle man and get their share of profit.

I'll review my list of affiliates and make sure no DL archives from Google's app search is there.
Kuzmitskiy Dmitry Send private email
Tuesday, March 12, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics