* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Website Review

Would you mind taking a look and giving some feedback on this website:

www.telprosales.com
Tim Hemingway Send private email
Wednesday, March 06, 2013

I also had a question regarding the google crawler. Google appears to be crawling through and updating the pages, but on the description of the main page, it lists the outdated description. How long does it take for this to update?
Tim Hemingway Send private email

Signup for the google webmaster account and submit your sitemap.
nilesh Send private email

In the final version of your website, I assume you will remove the links to HTML5 and CSS validators.  Even if visitors want to scan your site for errors, you should make them do some work, not make it easy to find out how poor your template is.

The headline/banner is a link that points to itself (at least on your home page).  Your home page only has 3 usable links (not including the validator stool pigeons).  There is nothing wrong with having more than one link on a page pointing to the same URL, most people like to click on headings where they are reading, instead of going back to the top of the page.  Your visitors don't want to play a game where they have to guess how to get to the next level/page.

"How long does it take for this to update? " 
I'm told it takes two weeks for new content, and my own experience with modified content is 1-45 days.  It seems to me that Googlebots take longer to get around to revisit existing content than other spiders, including some pretty obscure ones.  Sometimes you get lucky and it's almost instantaneous.  It probably depends on the popularity of the site, new discussions here seemed to show up in search results the same day.
Howard Ness Send private email

I've read RFVIEW at the top menu as REVIEW first :)

Only 2 useful pages... I'm not sure if I'd be ready to spend $1000 on a site like this. It's too empty. Probably you should add more content.
Kuzmitskiy Dmitry Send private email

It look oks, but the site is doing a better job of promoting HTML5WEBTEMPLATES.CO.UK than it is at selling your product. Why use a free template if it is going to drive traffic away from your page? This screams cheap to your customers and clearly is cheap.

Pay some money for a template you can use without having to display a massive link to a free templates site on the front page. At the very least contact the site you got the template from and buy a version you can use without the advert.

Customize it, add more content and remove stuff that is going to drive visitors away from you page. If this is new product, then you've got a massive uphill struggle to gain traction online without shooting yourself in both feet before the race starts.

You need some additional visual interest on the front page of the site. Learn about landing pages and what they should do. Try and incorporated some of these ideas into your front page. At the moment it's very bland. Where are the screenshots, the product videos and screen casts? Where is the content?
Andrew Gibson Send private email

As others pointed out: bad copywriting all over.

For example, what is the most prominent text on your landing page? "Thank you for visiting Telemetry Product Sales!"

It's worse than useless: it takes space  away from text that could be of  of some use for your potential customers or could be used to market and sell your software.

There are many resources for good copy writing. Apparently, I liked "Hot text -web writing that works" and "On writing well" (http://blog.kowalczyk.info/article/1fd/Review-of-Hot-text-web-writing-that-works.html).

You can start with http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2012/05/18/quick-course-on-effective-website-copywriting/. Notice the section "product page copy outline" doesn't mention: thank people for visiting your website.

Study the copy at http://37signals.com - they are really good at it. Learn from them (http://37signals.com/svn/writing)

Other random notes:

1. too much wasted space at the top

2. decide if your primary business is selling a product or software development services and optimize for that. Currently they are on equal footing and both suffer badly for it

3. less sentences, more bullet points

4. as others said, for someone selling $1000 software, using a free template is the opposite of building trust with your users. There are much better looking themes out there for ridiculously low prices (i.e. <$100)
Krzysztof Kowalczyk Send private email
Thursday, March 07, 2013

At while we're at the topic of making websites: read http://philip.greenspun.com/panda/.

It's old and technically it's mostly about how to build database-backed websites. You can skip those parts.

It's the best book I know that answers the most basic questions: why do website exists and what makes for a good website. Also, it's amusing.
Thursday, March 07, 2013

Also, "Telemetry Product Sales" is a weird tagline.

It's bad for SEO (will your users even google for "telemetry product sales"?).

It tells me nothing useful about your product.

Why not call your product after what it does "Remote Data Radio Diagnostic" (vs. RFView, which, again, is vague, "radio" and "RF" (Radio Frequency?) can refer to many things and your kind of radio is not the first I would think about).
Thursday, March 07, 2013

Your meta keyword tag is missing the closing quote on the content attribute.

You placed the google analytics code after the closing HTML tag, when it should be before the closing BODY tag.

Nothing in the index page is linked to RFView except the menu, link it any time you mention it.

The screenshots need to be larger. Imagine if you were shopping for a car, and this was its page. Would these tiny screenshots be good enough for you?

"For purchasing information, please use either the contact form," by this time, the contact form menu link is off the top of the screen, link "contact form" to the contact form.
Mike Dixon Send private email
Thursday, March 07, 2013

Krzysztof,  "Quick Course On Effective Website Copywriting" is an excellent article, right to the point.
Goran Burcevski Send private email
Thursday, March 07, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics