* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Do non-integrated payment gateways discourage sales?

A couple of weeks back, I mentioned making my user testing service free since it hadn't really set the world alight as a paid service.  Of course, this meant that I'd have to do away with the user panel since these people would still have to be paid.

I'm still planning on making the 'bring your own users' aspect free - in fact, I've started making some changes to the code to leverage alternative video hosting (via Amazon S3 rather than Viddler) and so forth.  However, the general impression I got was that many people still want independent users to do the tests rather than bring their own. 

On that basis, I've started looking at ways I can do this with minimal overhead, so that those savings can be passed on.  One such way is to do away with the integrated payments, which was Paypal Web Payments Pro and all of the associated PCI compliance that was required to use it.  I'm now wondering about just using vanilla PayPal, which I'd discounted originally because I felt that a non-integrated purchase flow would put some customers off.

I'm now questioning that view, and seeking the opinion of you lot. 

The pros of vanilla PP is that there is no ongoing monthly cost and (more importantly) a much lower amount of process and compliance. PCI and the ecosystem of proving one's integrity to process cardholder data was a big obstacle and though I managed to do it all by the book, it was a bit of a pain to administer given the low number of sales that ultimately came through.

Any thoughts?  Or maybe this has been covered before?
John Clark Send private email
Saturday, February 23, 2013

Can't comment on PayPal, but our experience has been that directly integrating a Payment collector into your website, so that it looks like your company are taking credit card numbers directly, can have a negative impact on sales.

Customers are getting savvier and more careful about giving out credit card numbers. They tend to be reassured by a non-skinned, brand name payment gateway (SagePay in the UK, Realex in Ireland, etc.)

Give them a credit card screen on joeblogs.com, and they hesitate, and in many cases have a change of mind.

You will not suffer from directing to a default payment gateway page - you might even find it leads to a sales increase. We did. Best, and simplest change we ever made to our order process.
Marlee Ammon Send private email
Saturday, February 23, 2013

Patrick Mckenzie blogged about his A/B testing experience using Stripe's integrated checkout. The short answer is: A/B test it.

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/08/06/stripe-and-ab-testing-made-me-a-small-fortune/
Nicholas Hebb Send private email
Sunday, February 24, 2013

If you want something that looks integrated, but really isn't, you could give Stripe a try: http://stripe.com.  It's what I use to collect payments for my web app subscriptions.  I think they offer an easy pay-button solution for one-off payments as well.
James A. Send private email
Monday, March 04, 2013

I'd love to try it, but it requires an address in either the US or Canada and I'm in the UK.  Maybe when/if they extend it I can consider it.  Damned shame IMHO...
John Clark Send private email
Tuesday, March 05, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics