* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

One time fee for SaaS?

Just been invited by a client onto a Basecamp project, noticed they (BC) now have a "Personal" product.

Basically you just buy one project at a time, for $25. No recurring fees.

I know recurring monthly fees are MY pet hate, and I've heard the same from many others. However I have no great problem with dropping a monthly fee for the month or so that I'm using something.

Part of the reason is because some clients love Skype, some insist on using some other project management tool, or have their own  in-house, or just don't want anything like that and prefer email. As such for me it would be silly as numerous months of the year I'd be paying for something I'm not using.

This personal thing seems much better though, so just wondering if any of you other SaaS vendors are offering such a thing or have thought of it?

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Saturday, February 23, 2013
I believe Patrick McKenzie is still doing this for bingocardcreator.com. When he started a lot of people thought he was crazy to let people use it forever for a one - off fee citing ongoing server costs etc. but I think in his case it makes sense, I doubt many people will take more than a vanishingly small amount of bandwidth / storage etc. so the monthly costs won't be too bad & there will always be new teachers / new parents so there will always be new customers to sell to.

On the other hand there are some services where there are significant monthly costs for supporting a user for example in my CloudTrawl.com service users actually take a significant amount of server resources every month (at the max dollars worth of server utilisation, not cents), so charging a one off fee would be crazy.

btw, instinctually I don't mind paying monthly if it "feels" warranted; for example I just started paying for DropBox & I'm aware their storage costs aren't $0. Likewise for Netflix & many other service based examples.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
I do like that there's no time limit on it but it's that single payment I like the most.

Likewise I'd find various other SaaS offerings a lot more attractive if I could buy a month at a time. It's that commitment to 12 months, regardless if you use it thing I really don't like.

Actually there's a very good SEO software I was a subscriber to for many months. I upgraded my account to a higher level and noticed on Paypal you cannot re-start a cancelled subscription - which means when I stopped using it because I hadn't needed it for a few months, I now *cannot* re-subscribe. Crazy. But if I could buy it a month at a time? Certainly, and that would do away with the 'subscription cancelled' issue too.

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
"Likewise I'd find various other SaaS offerings a lot more attractive if I could buy a month at a time."

But I prefer buying a years worth at a time because it's less admin for me.
Tony Edgecombe Send private email
Friday, March 01, 2013
If you pay a one-off fee, what happens when the SAAS vendor goes out of business and the product no longer works? We all go out of business eventually. At least with desktop software you can keep going long after the vendor disappears (or until you next update Mac OS X, if you are on Mac!).
Andy Brice Send private email
Saturday, March 02, 2013
I'm using a 1 year, 2 year and lifetime membership for my new SAAS gryphonframework.com

The way I see it is that the lifetime membership will help my business in the start up phase and if I ever shut down the project I can open source it.

I wouldn't want to leave my customer in the lurch, I think most small biz owners would think like that.
Thomas Oeser Send private email
Friday, March 08, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics