* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Time to ask for feedback. I think.

The site was launched in July  (had been working on the project for two years already). Constantly tweaking  design and content  (went through  3 major re-designs).

This hobby is not paying bills just yet but I'm getting there.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Maksym Sherbinin Send private email
Monday, February 11, 2013

Is it the site that your name links to? If so, it's lacking a clear headline. I don't know what toolverse is, tell me right on the homepage.
handzhiev Send private email
Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Thanks for feedback. I guess it doesn't really matter what toolsverse is. Think google, fogbugs, etc. We (me) create and sell software and this is pretty much it. Am I missing something?

How do I pause the slide show? I find it impossible to read when there is a distracting animation on a page.
Scott Send private email

Currently its not possible, runs forever. I will think about disabling it. Thank you.

Sorry, I had a really quick look and assumed it was a site for one product. I can see now you are selling several products. In this case it's probably better to focus your attention on each of the landing pages. Most of your customers won'tbe coming from the home page.
handzhiev Send private email

70% of the traffic is coming from the home page (probably not good).

I suggest to focus first on your download/trial experience. I got to your main page, then clicked on a "Learn More" button to learn more about Data Explorer. The price is in red (why? We use red for bad things). Then I clicked on the "Download Data Explorer ETL edition " link to download it. Now there is a page talking about Java VM, download a zip, tar or jar, and the installation guide has 5 steps.

You could create a download button for a windows setup program, that checks if the windows is 64 or 32 bit and if it has the java vm installed, and download/install the right files, ending with an icon on the user's desktop.

Some links are returning 404, use a link checker on the site.
Mauricio Macedo Send private email
Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Agree on red (its gone). How did you get 404? I check site regularly with Dreamweaver and it's all green. Internal search might return broken links (recently had a couple of big refactorings) but the rest should be good.

On installer, my customers are developers (I know, not the best of the markets), these  guys should be able to figure out how to unzip file  but you are right - the experience could be better.

Thanks for looking

I don't remember and your site doesn't show visited links with a different color, so it's hard to know. If I remember correctly it was some buy/purchase link. Might be a temporary error on your license provider too...
Mauricio Macedo Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics