* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Sharing the source code as part of a partnership

Does it make sense to establish a partnership that shares the source code?

My mISV develops tools and we sell it afterwards.

These days I consider to start a new partnership with another mISV. We'll develop and sell a new tool together. This new tool will be based on one of my current tools.

The IP of the new tool will be mine, but still I have doubts if that makes sense to share the source code with the other company? After all I have to share it since they help develop it (they have developers as well as knowledge to provide functionality for the tool)

What do you think?

Thank you
Mosh Send private email
Monday, February 11, 2013
You should sign an agreement between you and the other mISV which states that the IP and copyrights and yours.

As long as you have the legal papers in order, I don't see why this would be a problem. It's like hiring a developer to work in your product, the copyrights belong to the mISV, not the developer.
Jose Send private email
Fit your existing code into a library or API that you retain the rights to.  In your partnership agreement, include a license for that library including source code.  The license should allow the licensee (your partner and you) to extend or modify the source code for new software that the partnership now holds the rights to.  That way your partner can use your existing code however s/he wants without getting the rights to it (and ruining its value to you).
Howard Ness Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics