* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Multiple apps on website

I've got two apps on my website with three more in the making.  What's the best way to present them on the site, to establish their individuality?  Currently, the two apps have same page layout, same fonts, same graphics in the same spot, etc.  Just on different pages.  I feel that's the wrong approach; it gives it a clone-like appearance.
Harry Phace Send private email
Sunday, February 10, 2013

I took a quick look @ your web site (c****e.com - it wasn't hard to track you down using the screenshot you've posted in another topic) :)

Indeed those two program pages look like clones. Same colors, same formatting, even amount of text is the same. But those pages serve their purpose - they tell what programs are for. I think pages are OK. Maybe you should add screenshots there to make pages a bit more dedicated.

The main problem of this web site: you have only 3 pictures on your start page... and no text. I think many people will leave at this point.
Kuzmitskiy Dmitry Send private email

Wow, how did you work out my site?  Which screenshot helped?

Anyway, yeah, the site is very basic.  I am truly a one-man band here, having done everything you see by hand.  I will start another thread with an announcement of my launch and bring up the issues of site design there, for further feedback.

Did you unblur the image?
Bring back anon Send private email

I started with unblurring first... But then I saw stats and other data from Softpedia and web site address was revealed within 10 seconds :)

How the heck do you unblur that into something semi-legible?  Care to give us a quick pointers?  Seriously, I'm interested.
Monday, February 11, 2013

In your case I didn't have to  do the unblur because you posted posted a small image of Softpedia stats and that was more than enough :)

Without Softpedia hint it would just took a bit more time. It's not possible to unblur the image completely, but playing with PS filters and software like SmartDeblur can at least give some clues: how long domain name is, what letters it consists of (eg. f, t, d are taller than a, e, c and so on). Also you left "Setup.exe" text unblurred - from that we can fugure out the font, write possible domain names and blur it until we get the result which looks like yours.

A guy on one of the Russian forums posted an image with his domain name blurred... He didn't stay anonymous for too long :)

It's just a fun thing to do :))
Monday, February 11, 2013

Yeah, technology is always rapdly advancing. Have you heard of uncrop?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUFkb0d1kbU
Mauricio Macedo Send private email
Wednesday, February 13, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics