* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Hello all,

I'm close to launching my site to a larger audience, but I thought I'd get some feedback from veteran mISVers first. I created a version control system for SQL Server that has a different workflow than other systems out there now. I'll stop there for now and see if my website presents itself effectively.

http://sqlhistorian.com

* Is the site clear in what the product offers?
* Are there any discussions in the FAQ that I should move to the front page?
* Since the site has an obvious technical audience, I've been liberal about using technical acronyms and terms. Do I need to tone it down?
* I've struggled a bit with selling something that has no UI, outside of a config screen. It seems very text heavy; any advice?
* Any other overall advice?

Currently, I have a "join beta" page, but once I go live, this will be replaced by the store page and the "Sign up for beta test" buttons will be replaced by a button to download a 14-day trial.
Also, thanks to the advice on this board, I've created a pdf version of the help file instead of putting it solely online.

Additionally, I am looking for beta testers, so if you're interested, please let me know (or sign up on the site).

Thanks!
Jarrett
Jarrett Lee Send private email
Friday, February 08, 2013

I'm clear on what it does and how it works, just not clear on who'd buy it. Maybe I missed the point entirely, but I can't help thinking this is a neat solution to a problem that not many people have.

In spite of these thoughts, I liked the site and I wish you well with it.
Scorpio Send private email

Scorpio,

Just to be clear, what is the perceived problem that my site is portraying to solve? Are you thinking that not many people have the problem of version control for SQL Server, or is it something else?

Thanks for visiting.

I'm thinking it automagically captures history of DDL changes in the form of timestamped scripts, so you can play it forward or backward later. Much like SQL's own transaction log.

Based on my (limited, 30-year) experience, most places have DBAs who control all this stuff or hacker free-for-all.

No doubt, there is a sweet spot in between, which are your customers, but I don't know how you'll identity and reach them.
Scorpio Send private email

Yes, I'm aiming this software at companies who are trying to move up from the hacker free-for-all you mentioned: companies that are looking to easily start using some sort of source control on their database without too much effort.

When someone has part of their SQL code accidentally overwritten, they'll probably be looking to plug that hole with something fairly quickly and easily and hopefully without having to introduce a new process to the team. I felt the existing systems out there were too disruptive on my personal workflow.

Companies that already have a DBA might already have something in place, and yes, that would be a harder sell for me. But I'm not looking to capture the entire market nor trying to complete with systems already in place, so I'll can just focus the slice that are my potential customers.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Sunday, February 10, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics