* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

How much 1 second of waiting can cost

I hope this video would be useful for those software developers who still think that performance is not important: http://youtu.be/98dfCH9Mu3c

Have you ever thought about the consequences for your website if the load time increased by just one second? They’re really, really scary. The hypothetical loss for Amazon, for example, would be $1.6 billion yearly.

According to USA Today polling, most Americans won’t wait in line for more than 15 minutes. Half of visitors won’t return to an establishment that keeps them waiting, and one in five customers admit to being downright snippy when service is “too slow”.

Things are like this in the online world too. 25% of users leave a page that takes more than four seconds to load. Your site will lose half of its visitors if their mobile device doesn’t load it within 10 seconds.

In e-commerce, every second counts: 40% of mobile customers will leave an online store that needs more than 3 seconds to appear.

Aberdeen Group conducted a study that found the following consequences of increasing load times by one second:
- 11% fewer page views
- 16% lower customer satisfaction
- 7% lower visitor-to-customer conversion rate.

So take a cold, hard look next time before adding a shiny feature to your website that increases the load time by “just” one second.
Alex Murauski Send private email
Thursday, February 07, 2013
... or at least make that shiny new feature load asynchronously.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Thursday, February 07, 2013
I agree completely. Google, Amazon, Craigslist. All load fast - meaning within 3 seconds. None are beautiful. None use custom fonts loaded from slow external servers.
Scott Send private email
Friday, February 08, 2013
Anyway that video is 100% correct. An extra second delay is completely unacceptable for a revenue generating site because it costs so much customer loss.

There was a big discussion recently about web fonts - which often are obese 1MB files and with all the scripts can prevent text from appearing for 5, 10, 15, even 20 seconds. All of which are totally unacceptable load times, even the 5 seconds.

Despite this, there was something like 75% of respondents claiming that the beautiful design of large custom web fonts was worth any delay.

They are wrong. They are very very very wrong. If you have someone that says this on your team you need to tell them "this is not a non-profit personal art site" and fire them.
Scott Send private email
I agree with this, too.  So many websites have LARGE graphics, in terms of file size.  I've seen two-color images that are over 500 KB!  It's insane.  PNG images are your friend.  And reduce their color depth as much as beautifully possible.  My screenshots and buttons are all just 256-color PNGs with transparency, and all look great and come in at under an average of 20 KB each.
Harry Phace Send private email
Is there a to-do list or checklist of performance tips like these?
Prime Suspect Send private email
I think Linode must have done some shit to make static webpages load faster. Mine used to take 3 seconds, now it takes around 1. I verified via this site:

Bring back anon Send private email
I expect to be a billionaire by the end of this month due to this huge decrease in loading time. I promise to buy all of you tickets to the BoS conference AND put you up in VIP suites if this is the case.
Bring back anon Send private email
"Is there a to-do list or checklist of performance tips like these?"
This http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html is probably as close to canonical as you will get for a topic that sometimes resembles a religious debate.  I didn't look it up but there was a presentation made by someone from Yahoo! at a conference several years ago that seems to be the spark for this.
Howard Ness Send private email
Wow...Never seen a video with more 'facts' and less actual proofs...
It is all based on "research has shown that..."  What research? What kind of sites? What kind of visitors?
Besides if somebody has interest in your product but than give up if site doesn't load in less than 4 seconds...Well than he is a lunatic,and your 'slow' site just did you a favor filtering such a hasty maniac out.

Which is not to say that it never minds how fast a site loads up. It just it that 4 seconds or 15 seconds shouldn't be a bit of difference assuming that you are dealing with sane people who are genuinely interested in what you sell.

I said 'never' in first line...Well there are other stupid videos of course, I used 'never' only  as a literally device
alexandar Send private email
Saturday, February 09, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics