* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

I launched a new version

I have launched a new version of my software and website.

http://www.pvault.com/

How does the website look? This is not exactly a new program, it has been around for awhile and I have been trying to make refinements based on experience and user feedback. So you can be especially nitpicky, I will welcome it.

- Is the message clear?
- Does it convey the features and benefits of the software?
- Is navigation/structure okay?
- Is the design okay? I hand coded it myself...I don't really go for templates. I may have a designer redo the visuals, but I at least wanted to create a working site myself first.
- Is the tone/language appropriate?
- Is all the information presented clearly? Is there anything missing?
- Does it look trustworthy? I added this question due to recent topics of conversation.

Also, to preemptively answer the inevitable question...Regex is the company name. In this context it has nothing to with regular expressions. I would say that 99.999999% of my market is made up of non-programmers who have never heard of regexes, so this ambiguity should not cause any issues.

Thanks!
Shawn O'Hern Send private email
Tuesday, February 05, 2013

It's good.

This is a well known category of software so it's a bit easier to explain what it does. Even so, you explain it as well as if it was a strange software, which is good.

The FAQ looks comprehensive and well organized.

The About Us has your full name and country, that is good. Given that you are asking people to trust you with all their passwords, you may benefit from being even more specific. I'd recommend "Made in Waldorf, Maryland, USA" or even the full address. I suppose you're concerned about having an apartment number. You could call it a suite.

Yes, your company name Regex is a very strange choice, and the (tm) at the end of it is a bit of a WTF to me, but I suppose you're incorporated and all and you're stuck with it for the time being.
Scott Send private email

Thanks Scott.

Listing the city & state in addition to the country is a very good idea. The only thing in my case is that I've lived in 5 different places in the past 9 years. So when the location keeps changing on my About page, it doesn't look good. Even though there are perfectly innocent reasons for moving. I think it's better to just not put my specific location for now. Once I settle down, I will reconsider.

Putting "suite" in the place of an apartment number might have worked several years ago. But now one can look up the address on Street View, see that it's clearly an apartment building, and you will be found out. Not to mention, you will look like a fool.

Regarding "Regex": You probably think it is weird because you are a developer. To most people, that word has no meaning so it's just another weird nonsense company name (apparently that is the fad these days). It was just a name I chose for various reasons, it probably wasn't the best company name ever, but I've been using it for several years so it would be best to keep that branding for now.

I'd think that having the name Regex as the company name would be a great way to massively bury your company/product on a Google search.  I tried using "Regex software" and "Regex password" and you're not on the first page of hits. 

Sure, most people won't come to you via that search but for password managers or such, but I'd want to leave every avenue for finding me open, since you might promote your company name in other contexts and then people might remember "Regex" but never find your wares.

It's probably a moot point since you're not going to change it, but thought I'd chip in $0.02 anyway.
Racky Send private email

I think that "Regex" is a bad name, and that your company name will be buried.

I have an interest in a paper computer developed by Bell Labs.  It is called CARDIAC.  Go try looking up information for it.  You may have a heart attack trying.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email

>> "Go try looking up information for it.  You may have a heart attack trying."

:) That made me laugh.

I agree with everyone else, Shawn. Is there a reason you're keeping the "Regex" company name (especially considering it's impossible to find in Google)? Have you put a lot of cash into promoting that brand?  (If so, has it paid off?) Or are you just attached to it for sentimental reasons?

Regarding your site: it looks great. It's easier to navigate than your older one. My only criticism would be the light contrast on the sidebar for the "inactive" links. Light grey on white doesn't work well -- it's hard to read. If I were you I would make it black on white -- you don't lose any meaning about where you are on the site and you gain the ability to actually read the links without hovering.
Wyatt O'Day Send private email

>> Go try looking up information for it.  You may have a heart attack trying.

Yeah, that was pretty good, lol.

Racky, Gene, Wyatt:

I will take your advice about the Regex name to heart. To be completely honest, I never really considered that people may try to find me using only the Regex name, only to be buried under a mountain of regular expression search results. (This is why I like to get feedback, to get a fresh perspective on things!) Originally, my software was just Password Vault. That is too generic though. So I added the Regex in front. I still have always expected people would find me by using "Password Vault", and that is the term I have been focusing my SEO on. I used to be #1-2 on Google for "password vault", things changed suddenly a few months ago and now I am down around #14-15.

I have been considering naming my product "PVault". A lot of customers already use that name, maybe mistakenly, or due to the fact that my website is pvault.com, the executable is pvault.exe, and so on. I just searched Google for "pvault" and I am #2. The problem is that the #1 result is "pVault Paperless Environments" and they are claiming a (tm) on "pVault". So I'm not sure what to do about that. I will keep thinking though. Thank you all for the advice.

Hm, trademark could be an issue if they make a deal of it. On the one hand, theirs is paper vault software and yours is password vault software, so that's different fields. On the other hand, the jury will be told the field is "software".

It's funny to me that even though you started by saying that you didn't want comments about the company name it was still a big issue.

But the fact you had to issue a disclaimer is what is really telling!

It reminds me of this lady I know who is always asking people, "Do you guys think I am pretty? I just want to know about my makeup and hair, no comments about my weight please."

All the men she asks say, "Well Lulu, you'd look great if you weighed 150 instead of 350." And she says "Damn you! I told you not to mention that!"
Scott Send private email

Nice site, nice idea. To my dismay, I couldn't find a typo anywhere, which is very unusual. So, well done!

How do you handle logging in to Unix servers thru Putty/Telnet type emulators, eg. where the password goes in a remote command line and not a text field identifiable to Windows? That's where 70% of my personal password issues lie.
GregT Send private email

Wyatt,

I have made the nav links darker in response to your feedback. Judging contrast is tough, it is different for every monitor and every pair of eyes. I had used some online accessibility checkers before and they said the contrast was an acceptable level. But at any rate, it is better now, thanks.

Scott,

Yeah, I would feel better if they made scanners or something. But since they are a software company also, that might be an issue. Maybe I could try talking to them and working something out...

One thing I don't like about PVault is the name is not as self-descriptive as to what it actually does. I really need a consultant to help me with branding!

GregT,

I am very anal when it comes to spelling :)

Do you know if SendKeys would work with your emulator? I know it won't work for some emulators. But if it does work, then yes Password Vault can work with it. Otherwise, no. Although that functionality could be added if the emulator has an API that allows some sort of automation/sending text. I've actually had one other person who wanted such a feature a while ago. At the time I decided it wasn't worth the effort though.

I've had trademark issues come up in my life a handful of times.

In most cases the other company isn't aware of you, or they realize that your products are different and there's not much of an issue, especially if both companies have been around a while and no one has actually registered a trademark.

Sometimes though the person sees your product and becomes really mad! You'll get an email from them or a letter from their attorney.

Now decide what to do. If you have a registered mark in THEIR jurisdiction then you just write them back with a counter demand and it's pretty much over, they have no case and fold.

That never happens of course though since you didn't bother to get a registered trademark, else we wouldn't be having this discussion.

So now are you in a clearly different field? They have a state trademark for a hamburger stand in Idaho, and you are located in Brazil and make aircraft sensors? Then you can write them back explaining this and you probably never hear of it again.

But what if you both sell hamburgers? Or software? And both in the same country? And their use predates yours? Now you have a pretty damn good chance they can manage to file a suit against you and they have enough of a case it has to go to trial. Now you have $1 million ante minimum to play the game. Ready to play?

Probably not. So you have to change your product name. And all the time and money you spent building a brand identity is gone.

That's what happens in real life in most of these cases.
Scott Send private email

Shawn O'Hern: 'Putting "suite" in the place of an apartment number might have worked several years ago. But now one can look up the address on Street View, see that it's clearly an apartment building, and you will be found out. Not to mention, you will look like a fool.'

Why?  I have filled out plenty of forms asking for my home address, and they ask for suite number.

Where using "Suite" is an issue is where it is actually a box number being disguised.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Scott,

I'm afraid you are right about possible trademark infringement by using PVault. Even if I tried to swoop in and register that trademark (which raises ethical questions), that still wouldn't necessarily protect me since they could prove they were using it first despite failing to register it. I think the law might be on their side.

Maybe I can sell them pvault.com for a few million bucks and call it a day...

But I will have to look into developing an all new name. It will have to be unique, descriptive of what the product does, and the .com will have to be available. Not an easy task.

Gene,

Maybe the meaning of "suite" changes depending on location. But in the US, "suite" implies an office, it is not used for residential addresses.

vaultword.com is available, not sure if it means anything.
Goran Burcevski Send private email

I think you should change the product and company name. None of them mean much. Password vault, do people really search for that?

Use Google's Keyword Tool to find what your users are looking for, and sell the benefits not the features. Or name it like a characteristic, I liked "LastPass" name's, as in "the last pass you'll have to remember"

"Password manager" has twenty times more search volume than "password vault".  "Safe browsing" has twice the volume.  "Remember passwords" has five times, etc.

You can create two or three different sites with products names, and invest $200 in adwords to discover which one is best judging by its returns.

Also, talk abou the risk of using the same password on diffent sites, and list in the news the sites that warned users to change their passwords because of hacking events.

I suggest
Mauricio Macedo Send private email
Thursday, February 07, 2013

Mauricio,

I wouldn't say password vault is a meaningless phrase. It means the same thing as password manager. It is not as popular, but some people do use it in general conversation.

I've never used the Google Keyword Tool, and I don't know absolute numbers in terms of how many people search for what term. It is something to look into though. I would consider "password manager" to be the top search term in my industry. You say it has 20x more search volume, but I would say there is at least 20x more competition also. Look at the top few pages of results, they are all the top password managers (plus a Wiki article on password managers in general). Those will be hard to crack (although I can confidently say my product is competitive with all of them, maybe save for cross-platform compatibility).

Those other search terms are not good to target. "Safe browsing" could mean SSL certificates, phishing, or lots of other things. "Remember passwords" could have to do with using cookies on your website. They don't necessarily have anything to do with password management, so having a large search volume is meaningless.

"Password vault" is searched by some people, and it is an exact name match to my product, so it seemed like a good fit. I am reconsidering now though. Another complicating factor is that I am not necessarily free and clear to use the name "Password Vault" (due to trademark issues). That is something I have been choosing not to deal with so far. But it's another reason I am now considering a name change.

I'm not sure how viable it is to try out multiple product names. I have an established product that is used by a lot of people, I can't keep changing the name. Plus rebranding would be expensive for me. I can only do it once at most, so I will have to make it count on the first try.
Thursday, February 07, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics