* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Showing real address

Well, we have a discussion here regarding the the use of real names.
I'm OK with revealing this information - my customers do know my real name.

But the question is: what if I publish my business address on the "About Us" page, and that address is in Russian Federation?

How people (especially those who are from US, UK) react to this?

Is Russian address better than no address? Or maybe I should get a virtual mail box somewhere in UK?
Kuzmitskiy Dmitry Send private email
Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I can see some of this is going to be on a case by case basis.

There are probably situations where having an address in the english speaking world (USA/UK/Australia/NZ) is better, you might be able to charge more for one thing and they are a better "brand name" in a way. (Maybe not the US though.)

With Russia, it's true there's this whole Russian mafia and scams and hackers. But they don't tend to list their address or real name, or be around very long.

But it's also known that many Russians are super smart and make the best stuff.

Kaspersky Lab is reputable and well known.

http://usa.kaspersky.com/about-us/contact-us

So - global headquarters in Moscow, and some other ones as well, who knows what is in those other offices.

Here's another one:

http://www.artlebedev.com/studio/location/

Moscow, Ukraine, and New York.

Very well known, good reputation.

I would say the Russian brand name can be a good thing, or a bad thing. (Just like USA, huh.)

Now in your case it's obvious you are Russian, and its trivial to find your real address anyway. So it's not like you're hiding that you're in Russia.

So there's nothing to be lost from listing it. And it has the advantage of making you look more solid.

It does seem though that other big name Russian operations have offices in other countries, though the nature of these offices is uncertain.
Scott Send private email

Consider to get an address in Mordor.

Seriously:

For me,  a real address in Russia is better than no address at all.

Moscow or SPb addresses may actually carry some charm. Chelyabinsk may be too culturally-shocking, on the other hand. Stalingrad may bring some unpleasant memories in some buyers :)
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email

"Is Russian address better than no address? Or maybe I should get a virtual mail box somewhere in UK? "
Nothing wrong with a Russian address, but use Latin characters please, it's too much trouble to get Cyrillic characters out of my keyboard (and once I turn on multilingual key mapping, it takes forever to get my keyboard to behave again).

Excellent software has come out of the former Soviet Union, and as long as you can provide support in English, I don't care where you are based, as long as you present yourself as an established, credible and professional business.

If you are operating a business in the UK, I believe you need to have a physical mailing address in the UK.  Try to find a physical address that won't need to be changed every six months.  Try to find a reliable human being to pick up mail on a weekly basis at that address.  If you aren't operating a business in the UK, why bother with a virtual address there?
Howard Ness Send private email

The only trouble with a real russian address that you might get in, are your own local racketeers...
vv Send private email

Thanks for replies. I'll try publishing the address without phone.

@Howard, of course no Cyrillic will be used :) I 'm sure the only option for international web site is to use English.
Thursday, January 31, 2013

@vv racketeers were a problem in 90s, things changed here :)

Thanks, Scott, for linking to ArtLebedev so that I happened upon this nutty keyboard:

http://store.artlebedev.com/electronics/optimus-popularis/
Racky Send private email

I'm pretty leery of software from both Russia and China. There's just so much malicious activity coming out of there. Most of it I simply avoid unless I can get an idea of their reputation from other places on the web.

That doesn't mean I avoid all of it though.

Is it fair to the developers? No, but life isn't fair and I have to watch out for myself.

I'm less leery of code that I can look through first.

As for the address, it doesn't mean much to me because I can't really verify that it's the real location anyway, and there's no legal recourse if it was.
Mike Dixon Send private email

Racky, I feel that I have to counterbalance against your post about a nutty keyboard with this:
    http://www.daskeyboard.com/
The second keyboard listed has nothing on the keys.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email

I am Russian software developer and Micro ISV and I am not afraid to purchase software made in Russia. I am way more suspicious to Chinese software.

Usually it takes me just 30 seconds to understand if the software vendor is reliable by just looking on the vendor website.

And in case if their installer is digitally signed I install their software without any fear.
MatrixFailure Send private email

@Mike
I'm Russian and I'm really afraid of software coming from China. It looks like Americans may have the same feelings for Russia :)

I believe, it is really about matching a pattern of a "trusted source" in the mind of a buyer.

There are a few elements that make up that pattern -- a relatively nice site, good English, clear navigation and, yes, a contact information with a mail address.

When all elements are in place, the basic trust is there too.

I believe, the actual location of the address is not that important (though Chinese or Russian location may cause a pause).
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Friday, February 01, 2013

> (though Chinese or Russian location may cause a pause).

(I was going to make a joke about being OK with software from either Russia or China but from cities that border on *both*--THAT I won't do.  But then I wondered about such cities and found this picture of Manzhouli, and thought, "how could anything bad come from there?"  PIC:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Manzhouli3.jpg  I've got to get to Russia at some point, even for the architecture alone)
Racky Send private email

We are based in Novosibirsk, Russia and have always had our address on our Web site. Never had a single prospect saying they like/want/need our product but won't buy it because we are a Russian company. (Of course, there may be a zillion of those who did not buy our product for that very reason without telling us.)

However, there are two other related concerns that I've seen  expressed multiple times:

- Anticipation of communication issues, i.e. whether our sales and support people speak or at least read/write English well enough

- Time zone difference - we are in GMT+7, so the turnaround time for our American customers is one business day.

We cannot do much about the latter, as we have actual product developers wear their support hats it turns, and that includes all senior engineers up to the CTO level. We don't want to put them on 24x7 shifts.

As for the language barrier, it seems we have enough reasonably good English content on the Web site and in the forums for me to forget when I saw that concern raised last time.

On top of that, we invite everyone to test drive not only our product, but also our support free for 90 days.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email

And, by the way, you the Russia/China/whatever averse mobile apps lovers out there, have you ever tried visiting the publisher _and_ developer sites for all the apps you have installed? You may be surprised how many of your favorite apps are actually made in the countries you don't trust, or in places such as this:

http://www.lambdamugames.com/contact/
Dmitry Leskov Send private email

Though I can see the humour about the Super Secret Underwater Base *and* the feedback from the former Klingon ambassador to Earth, it made me wonder whether the company is real or a hoax.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email

Chinese software is definitely dodgy, I doubt any of it is fully legit at all.

USB sticks coming from China are notorious for having malware on board, fresh from the factory, and can even be present with brand names that appear to be headquartered in the USA or Japan.

There are also consumer devices like Chinese made BluRay players, video surveillance boxes, and cameras that infect any uninfected USB stick stuck in their port.
Scott Send private email

I'm a big fan of dhtmlx (.com). They show their Russian address. It bothers me not a jot, I looked at the product, their support forums and their reviews. Those are what convinced me that the products are OK.

http://www.dhtmlx.com/docs/contact.shtml
Craig Welch Send private email
Saturday, February 09, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics