* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Startup Opportunity Targeting Skin Cancer Patients. Interested?

Few days ago I was talking with a very top dermatologist in Houston, TX (he’s treating my mother for skin cancer) and he has an idea (and has applied for a patent) for a mobile app that would be very valuable for dermatologists treating skin cancer patients as well as for patients themselves.

Essentially once you have a skin cancer mole and that area has been removed, you need to go and see a doctor periodically (every 3 months initially, then 6 months then a year) and a doctor will take a picture of all the moles all over your body, mark it on a “human body map”, compare it with how the mole previously looked and decide if the mole is potentially dangerous and if so send it to biopsy.

The idea is to write a mobile app that will organize that whole process for dermatologists and help them save time. Moreover, potentially a much bigger market can be skin cancer patients i.e. they can take pictures of their moles themselves and software can “compare” the picture with previous versions of that mole picture and advise the patient to go to see a doctor if something has changed abnormally.

If you are a developer who would like to work on such an app or are an investor who would like to invest in such an opportunity please send an email to skincancerstartup@gmail.com.
Ashot Hay Send private email
Friday, January 25, 2013

I read something about that kind of thing recently, which was not encouraging: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21045623

Not exactly the same thing, but certainly in the same field.
Scorpio Send private email
Friday, January 25, 2013

Thanks Scorpio for the article, it's quite interesting and obviously there are challenges involving writing such an app. I guess the app shouldn't say "you have a skin cancer" or "you don't have a skin cancer", but more like it should suggest patients to visit a doctor if the mole has changed abnormally.
Ashot Hay Send private email
Friday, January 25, 2013

I'd say that's a pretty tough gig for a small company/startup. Years ago I contracted for about a year at a company making hardware & software for radiotherapy machines. The compliance was full on, to say the least - as you might expect.
I think the whole thing would be a litigation minefield - I would like to be a fly on the wall at the first meeting with the E&O insurance broker :)
I do wonder about the apps referred to in that linked article - paid for smart phone apps that are algorithmically (mis)diagnosing skin cancers? Someone's going to get sued for that, surely?

matt
Matthew Fender Send private email
Saturday, January 26, 2013

There's a million skin cancer apps out there.  You'll be joining a crowded market.

Also, read this -> http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/smartphone-apps/skin-cancer-apps-dangerous-20130117-2cva6.html
Harry Phace Send private email
Saturday, January 26, 2013

Harry, thank you for the link.  I have submitted it to RISKS.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Monday, January 28, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics