* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Running a [insert niche here] Software Company

A friend posted this which I think is good read and relevant to many on here

http://www.collaboris.com/blogs/collaboris-blog/mark-jones/2013/01/17/Running-software-company-my-reflection

His niche is SharePoint but many of the things he's talking about Delivery, Marketing, Sames, Admin are generic. Yet another (much needed) reminder that its not all "Build it and they will come".
Ryan Wheeler Send private email
Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sames... *Sales*!

Gold. Thanks for the post.
Bring back anon Send private email

"One man can't do it alone"

I think there are quite a lot of us doing it on their own.
Tony Edgecombe Send private email

Well sure you can (and I have done in the past) but do you ever feel overwhelmed Tony - what about when you want a holiday if nothing else?

"what about when you want a holiday"

I knew an old guy who had owned a dairy farm that he had been working on since he was a child with his father. You milk the cows two or three times a day, 365 days a year.

He had no problems taking a vacation but he had to wait until he was 70 years old so he could sell the farm. Then he went with his wife for a couple days to another city to see a football game. First time he had been out of his town in 50 years.

So yes, vacation is possible!
Scott Send private email

(I should state explicitly in case it's not obvious - running a dairy farm is the same work as running a small software firm that's in it for the long haul. Be prepared to work your ass off for 50 years, or die trying.)
Scott Send private email

Scott - do you ever make a single
Friday, January 25, 2013

reply to a post? ;)
Friday, January 25, 2013

"what about when you want a holiday"

Well, generally as long as there's wfi and I can grab a few minutes a day to handle support it isn't a problem.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Friday, January 25, 2013

The question boils down to "Do you want a lifestyle business" or a "Growing Business".

Lifestyle would be that generates an income that is stable and manageable by single founder

Growth would be where you want to keep growing revenues by selling more and increasing product line.

Lifestyle business is possible by single founders. Growth business is difficult by single founders . The business in the link is executing it professionally at 4 different pillars. It would be really impossible for a single person to do all that.
nilesh Send private email
Friday, January 25, 2013

"Well, generally as long as there's wfi and I can grab a few minutes a day to handle support it isn't a problem."

That's my experience to, it would be nice to switch off completely but it isn't a huge burden to check messages now and then.
Tony Edgecombe Send private email
Friday, January 25, 2013

As a brief aside on the raised topic, I object to the term "lifestyle" business. The term is used by VCs to deprecate serious sole proprietorships and paint them as somehow precious hobbies rather than serious businesses. Nothing could be further from the truth. Small businesses run by a family or a couple friends, or one person comprise the vast majority of profitable businesses in the US. Meanwhile these big  growth VC backed companies that require leasing lots of server racks owned by other companies in the VC's fund very seldom produce stable products that generate revenue - if ever.

Don't fall for it. State an objection whenever anyone trots out the "lifestyle business" nonsense.
Scott Send private email
Friday, January 25, 2013

I also object to "micro software vendor" used to describe companies that DESIGN products. WalMart is a software vendor, as is the guy at the swap meet selling pirated copies of photoshop and office.
Scott Send private email
Friday, January 25, 2013

Sorry, micro independent software vendor, and independent software  vendor. In addition to the BS from vendor, there's the nonsense about "independent" where anything that isn't Microsoft is independent? Defining the entire industry on the basis of whether or not they are the company that invented this silly term is absurd.
Scott Send private email
Friday, January 25, 2013

"Meanwhile these big  growth VC backed companies that require leasing lots of server racks owned by other companies in the VC's fund very seldom produce stable products that generate revenue - if ever."

++1 for that one.
Sad, but true...
StevenP Send private email
Friday, February 08, 2013

I think we all have read the 4-hour work week by Tim Ferris

http://www.amazon.com/4-Hour-Workweek-Anywhere-Expanded-Updated/dp/0307465357/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361109828&sr=1-1&keywords=4+hour+work+week

this is about how he oursourced a lot of his businesses management and lives the good life (once things get off the ground)

I think his book is an inspiration to many who would rather work 4 hours a week and actually live life.  It would be interesting to see what others thought of this book.
Lucas Krause Send private email
Sunday, February 17, 2013

"I think his book is an inspiration"
You must be trying to be sarcastic.  http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?biz.5.845659.12  in case anyone forgot the last time Ferris got mentioned in this forum.  If you gave him some of your hard earned money, shame on you.
Howard Ness Send private email
Sunday, February 17, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics