* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

RIP Google App Engine

There's one less option in the platform as a service world now, GAE is as good as dead now. For those who haven't been following it Google has jumped the shark with GAE and pricing.  From my view, GAE always had some big problems: primarily big table and lockin to their platform and API's, but also things like lack of https to your own domain.

The original GAE premise was that you would put an app on it and pay for resources irrespective of cpu cycles which scaled continuously to meet demand in the background completely out of your control.  They've totalled abandaned that model, which everyone wrote apps for, and introduced pricing based on instance utiliztion.  So a lot of existing apps will have to be optimized for the new constraints, or leave GAE entirely.  It's no longer possible to run a cheap free service on GAE.

App Engine is dead because Google did what every dev feared they would; lock you in the jack up the prices.  Apps will move away now, and with zero new apps, the service is certain to wither.  And after 3 years whens it's making no revenue, Google Corp will pull the plug.  Good bye GAE, we barely knew ye.

http://www.infoq.com/news/2011/09/app-engine-price-hike

http://www.infoq.com/news/2011/09/Google-GAE-Prices
SuperDuperUser Send private email
Tuesday, September 13, 2011

>lock you in the jack up the prices.

They tried to get lots of people to use their (pretty horrible) payment processor GoogleCheckout by heavily discounting it for Adwords users for a while. It doesn't seemed to have worked very well in the long term though as there was no real lock-in.
Andy Brice Send private email

I doubt this is an effort to squeeze money out of existing users but shifting the market to those users they really give a shit about.
Bring back anon Send private email

My theory is that they finally figured out how much money it was costing them to support GAE and just now decided to charge accordingly.
Nicholas Hebb Send private email

I'm an AppEngine user and won't be going anywhere.

I'm not particularly happy- as my daily bill will go from around $0.50 to $6.00 . But to be honest, I think I was underpaying before, as I use a LOT of processing 18 hours a day (we're not talking a simple website).

In all honesty, I think that I wouldn't save enough by going to e.g. a VPS to make it worthwhile, and there'd be a fair amount of work.

I think Google were giving away too much for too little for too long and have expected this change for a while.

In all honesty- if your margins are so narrow that this makes a significant dent in them, then you may need to rethink your approach.
Tom Gallard Send private email

Has anyone had experience with VMWare's Cloud Foundry yet? It looks good on paper. It seems to be the anti-GAE: a PAAS offering that is open, so you can write portable applications. It offers mainstream services like MySQL, Redis and MongoDB, so your data won't be locked in. It's in beta for months and won't be production ready this year, so it's no GAE replacement. However, it looks like a great way to get free hosting of in-development apps that you can migrate to production hosting services when ready.
Christopher Wong Send private email
Wednesday, September 14, 2011

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics