* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Buying email addresses?

Yesterday, I was contacted by http://www.freedomlists.com/ that a list of 232K emails targeting .Net developers was available with them. They are asking 10K for this database.

Has any of you heard of this company or bought such a list?
Is such a list genuine?
Is 10K for 232K emails a good price?

Looking forward to your opinions.
IJ Send private email
Thursday, September 08, 2011

Never heard of that "company" or site before. The list of 232K emails may or may not be real email addresses, but the question is whether or not the people who own those email addressed opted-in to receive unsolicited emails from random companies who bought their email address. I HIGHLY doubt that that is the case.

If you buy this email list you will pay 10K upfront and then leave yourself open to paying millions of dollars in fines later if it turns out that these people did not opt-in to receive unsolicited advertising via email.

Buying email addresses is pretty much the silliest -- and potentially most damaging to your business -- thing you could do.

In short: don't do it.
Rowan Hanna Send private email

This is called spamming.
It's bad for your business and for your karma.
Don't do it!
Crack This Send private email

Just for the information: price for such list is not right. You can find this list and many others in the internet for free.

But as others said - don't do it. This is bad.
MK Send private email

There's a lot of misunderstanding on this issue...

Firstly, no, don't buy that list.

Secondly, yes, such lists DO exist and are perfectly legitimate. What you've just described however is almost certainly not one of them.

Instead contact a proper list broker. They're the same people who can sell you thousands of brick and mortar name and addresses for direct mail.

They're not cheap.

Such brokers can usually find or create a list for you based on geographic location, age, industry, position within that industry etc. The more detailed and narrow the list the more expensive it will be.

It used to be the case that emails were cheaper than 'real' names and addresses, however the companies have realised it's much cheaper  to contact emails thus making them more valuable to you, so they're raised their fees.

IMPORTANT - it is best to NOT use such lists if you don't have a very clear customer. If your product is one that "should appeal to everyone" then don't use a list. Mailing lists should be reserved for things such as:

20-30 year old accountants in Texas
Women intending to marry very soon, UK
Micro software vendors USA

And so on.

Like any form of selling you need to know your customer. The more you can break it down the better, for example micro software vendors using C#/.NET, under $100K, within 300 miles of Baltimore.

In short you should be 'narrowcasting', not broadcasting, using a reputable, licensed and insured list broker with real opt-in lists. There's nothing wrong with that as it's good old fashioned marketing and I've helped people make their fortune with it.

When an unknown company approaches you and offers millions of emails it's just spam. They probably don't have the emails and even if they did you wouldn't want them.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

I fully agree, run for the hills, even if they give you a sample it could be far from representative & there's a good chance you don't have the right to email these people.

btw, not knocking well targeted direct mail & not approving of spam, but...

How on earth is it the case that it's perfectly legal to cut down trees and scatter bomb people with badly targeted direct mail and yet to do the same thing on line (with a tiny environmental impact) is immoral and likely to land you in jail?

Just seems like an odd double standard to me.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email

It is a double standard.

If you have a pure B2C software (for example file zipping software) all computer owners are your potential customers and sending an ad via e-mail to everybody is spamming.
Your would target private email addresses and annoy people all over the world.

But, for B2B software it is just another business offer. Companies are supposed to get business offers (by mail or phone), right?
In 20 years, there will be no such thing as snail mail.
Crack This Send private email

I suspect that 10K would be better spent on AdWords, or improving your product, or even just taking a vacation.

Spending it on a list, so you can be a spammer seems less than optimum.
Scorpio Send private email

Crack This: "Companies are supposed to get business offers (by mail or phone), right?"

-1 for that. Nobody likes spam.

One of the reason people have assistants and companies have telephone receptionists is so that they can filter this stuff out, and let people get on with what they're supposed to be doing.

Marketing, based on interruptions, as we know it is dead. I haven't seen a web advert for years (thanks Adblock Plus), or a TV advert (thanks Sky+). I never look at billboards and all spam letters/leaflets delivered to my home are immediately put in the recycling. Unsolicited telephone calls are hung up and text messages/SMS are deleted.

The point is that if I want something, I Google it. Trying to interrupt me is just going to make me hostile towards the company/brand.

I don't think I'm alone in seeing things like this.
Scorpio Send private email

Scorpio, you may not be alone but you're very much in the minority :)

Never forget that you're NOT trying to sell to yourself...

In truth advertising does work, it works well and yep, dead-tree direct mail still works. It works despite the fact that pretty much everyone claims they're not affected by advertising, they never respond to junk mail and hell no, they're NEVER buy via email spam!

Never, never, never, never *ever* - unless it's exactly what they're interested in of course, in which case they buy just like everyone else.

Someone mentioned that junk mail may become obsolete; I agree but mostly because the government-run mail "companies" across the world are pants, inefficient and over-priced to say the least!

I've found the most powerful email lists (opt-in, obviously) are those of associated but not competing products. For example I did a project awhile ago for someone where direct mail was sent to users of a certain Adobe product. Obviously Adobe checks the mail for professionalism and relevancy first, as they wish to protect the value of their list, i.e. they don't want to abuse it. That project did extremely well and I doubt any of the receivers considered it junk mail - just a product and offer they were likely to be interested in.

What *doesn't* work so well with advertising is the vague 'brand building' stuff, where direct response cannot be measured. You can avoid that expense like the waste of money it usually is.

AC

>a list of 232K emails targeting .Net developers

Spam spam spam.

Are there even 232k .Net developers in the world?

Run away. Fast.

But if you do go ahead with it, I've got this gold mine in South America you might also be interested in investing in...
Andy Brice Send private email

Thanks for your inputs.

Here is what the guy from the company had to say about the address being opt-in:
>>
and the emails which we will provide to you will be the opt-in emails i.e. permission based emails. So, there is very less probability of your emails going into spam.
>>

About being genuine:

>>
We acquire the list of prospects who are interested in various products and services through trade shows, seminars and we also get information through subscriptions to Magazines and Newspapers. As we have been tied up with many event and trade show companies, whenever they conduct an event or tradeshow, we will be contacted for sponsorship, whoever attend the event or tradeshow would be given questionnaires to be filled.
>>

Accuracy:

>>
We can guarantee 90%+ on email address and 100% on rest of the data. We can even guarantee 100% on email address but to be on a safer side we have mentioned 90%+, as you know emails might bounce back due to various reasons like if the mail box is full or if the email servers are down the emails are sent would bounce back. Our lists are updated on a quarterly basis as we have an 500+ data team member who works on appending emails and building lists, we also data cleanse our entire database once in 90 days, However once you sign up for the list, will go through a verification process where each record is manually verified by our data team to make sure the records are delivered to you are the accurate.

Once you have purchased the list you would be given a 30 days of time to review the data, if you would find any information is incorrect, not matching your criteria, or if you would have more than 10% hard bounce, then we would go ahead and replace or refund for the same.
>>

I was sold till I asked for your opinion, now I am not so sure :-)
IJ Send private email

Calculations show that the email addresses are being provided at 4.31 cents per address.

I think the offer is junk for all the reasons stated.

One other thing to consider is damage to your reputation from using this list. If people who are tightly connected via social networks or other associations get your email and start to discuss it, you may create a locus of haters.

I used to belong to ASP and I read about  a former member that was accused of spamming members there. The word can travel fast.
WannabeTycoon Send private email

"have an 500+ data team member "

Must be pretty old :-)

Even just reading the claims and poor english should make you run a mile. Even if they did actually have 500 team 'members' that 'manually check' every email address out of a quarter of a million, it would take a heck of a long time....
Ewan McNab Send private email

Jonathan Matthews: "How on earth is it the case that it's perfectly legal to cut down trees and scatter bomb people with badly targeted direct mail and yet to do the same thing on line (with a tiny environmental impact) is immoral and likely to land you in jail?

Just seems like an odd double standard to me."

It is expensive to do a snail-mail mailing so that tends to limit them somewhat.  It is cheap to send E-mail.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email

> Just seems like an odd double standard to me.

+1

It's not exactly rational. However, sacred horses and whatnot... :|
Ryan Smyth Send private email
Friday, September 09, 2011

That and the fact the post office is a governmental money-losing disgrace that needs all the help it can get...

AC
Friday, September 09, 2011

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics