* The Business of Software

A community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Where to find beta-testers?

Hi all

I'm looking for beta-testers for the new version of our Macro Recorder - http://blog.jitbit.com/2011/01/free-macro-recorder-for-beta-testers.html - and I'm not sure where to start...

all the the tips I've found so far (on answers.onstartups.com mostly) cover web-application testing, not the desktop apps, so... where do I start?
AlexD Send private email
Sunday, January 23, 2011

The same place you find customers. If you can find anyone interested in trying your software now how will you be able to once it's on sale ?

This is a confronting but important point.

If your plan is to market online once your product is on sale then create a page describing the product and asking people interested in it to give their email address. Then market that page in the same way you will market your website once the product is on sale.

If you plan to market offline once your product is on sale then use the same techniques to rustle up some beta testers.

Unless you have a very viral product that people will immediately start spreading the word about it is likely that "finding people" is going to be your hardest task.  It certainly is for me.
Sam H Send private email
Sunday, January 23, 2011

This forum needs the ability to edit posts after you post without properly reading the question :)
Sam H Send private email
Sunday, January 23, 2011

Why don't you approach existing customers of this product?
Gautam Jain Send private email
Sunday, January 23, 2011

Gautam: because I'm afraid it's way too buggy :)
AlexD Send private email
Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I think you should give your existing users the opportunity to beta test if they wish. Not all will want to do it. But those who do volunteer will likely be your most technically savvy and enthusiastic users. Those are the types of people you want testing your software. They will be more willing to put up with some bugs and give good feedback in order to be the first to use your shiny new version, and possibly get a free license in return (you are offering free licenses to testers, right?)

On the other hand, if your new version is so crippled by bugs that you don't want to let your existing users near it, then maybe no one should be using it!
Shawn O'Hern Send private email
Tuesday, January 25, 2011

You can invite them on forums. You need to make posts on several ones.
VD Send private email
Friday, January 28, 2011

If you don't mind paying for the beta testers you can use e lance.
Nick Coombs Send private email
Friday, January 28, 2011

I agree with Sam. Potential customers are good beta testers.
SEO Plan Send private email
Saturday, January 29, 2011

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics