* The Business of Software

A community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

BOS reprieved

"The Joel on Software discussion group, in long decline, will close. The Business of Software group will remain open."
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2010/03/14.html

Hopefully BOS has enough critical mass to survive without traffic via Joel's blog.
Andy Brice Send private email
Sunday, March 14, 2010

I think we have an active community here, which sort of exists parallel-to-but-not-really-dependent-on Joel's blogging community.  We should be more or less fine.
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email
Monday, March 15, 2010

Thanks to Joel for keeping BOS opened.  It's an invaluable forum for exchanging of ideas for entrepreneurs.  The people here are of high caliber and very seasoned.
billw Send private email
Monday, March 15, 2010

I was saddened by the announcement that the JoS forum will be closed, although heartened by the news that the BoS forum will remain.

I've been reading, learning and posting here since 2001, so I guess that makes me an old timer ;-)

Anyway, thanks to Joel and all the posters for the excellent insights over the years.
Scorpio Send private email
Monday, March 15, 2010

Keep BOS going!!! Its a classic.

I will now redirect my attention from HN to BOS.
n! labs Send private email
Monday, March 15, 2010

>>"I’m not going to write Ten Ways to Get VCs to Salivate, I’m not going to write Why You Have To Buy a $10,000 Italian Espresso Machine for your Programmers, and I’m not going to write Python is For Aspergers Geeks or Ruby is for Tear-streaked Emo Teenagers. After a decade of this, the whole genre of Hacker News fodder is just too boring to me personally. "

Ive always felt the BoS forum is much more practical, not  relying on rehashing the same material over and over again. Im glad it will still be around.
n! labs Send private email
Monday, March 15, 2010

Alot of the posts from JoS will just move over here. So there should be enough of a community for a while.

Are there any other good BoS like communities I should look into?
Contractor Send private email
Monday, March 15, 2010

Brian Rasmusson Send private email
Monday, March 15, 2010

SimonH Send private email
Monday, March 15, 2010

Jeez. Didn't see that coming.

I've been absent for quite a while, and just starting to pop back in as time allows.

I'm certainly glad that BoS won't be closing, because I count it as one of my top resources to go to.

There is more than enough information in here for anyone with the patience to read a bit to get their own software company started. The depth of experience in BoS really makes it a must read for anyone interested in doing software as more than a 9to5.

As already said above, "not a rehash", which is refreshing. Most "articles" I read are total drivel of rehashed non-sense from a few years ago that was already stale. (I'll puke if I read another SEO article as I've not read anything original in a very long time.)

+1 for the ASP -- Well worth the price of admission.
Ryan Smyth Send private email
Monday, March 15, 2010

It was good to hear that Joel's not turning out the lights on BOS - This was the very first forum I found five years ago where I could actually get a grip on all those non-coding tasks I needed to learn how to do to sell software.
Bob Walsh Send private email
Monday, March 15, 2010

People always reference that answers.onstartups.com, maybe i'm old but that just doesn't seem like a conversation or comparison to here, more like a place to ask questions and get answers.
Phil Send private email
Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Been a life-saver for me too at times...

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Incredibly helpful forum, please don't close it. Otherwise we need to setup something new.
Harald Send private email
Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Minor suggestion:  The "Discuss" link from the top nav bar here should probably be redirected to BOS now.
Joannes Vermorel - Lokad Forecasting Send private email
Wednesday, March 17, 2010

BoS is so informative
Blackjack Turner Send private email
Wednesday, March 17, 2010

As I see it Andy and Patrick are the forum and I will follow them anywhere. The spartan interface and the lack of features are really working against this community.

Know whatahmean, know whatahmean, nudge nudge, know whatahmean, say no more?
Your Momma Send private email
Thursday, March 18, 2010

This forum inspired me, without it I'd still be an employee..
Dima Send private email
Thursday, March 18, 2010

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics