* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Lets say your newest product hit 100k in 4months. whats next?

Hi Guys,

Lets say you created a few products and ur newest product hit 100k in 4 months but has seen no further improvement in sales over the last 2 months.  What do do to improve?
So about 150k in 6months but running out of ideas to test.

The product costs $399 so its not really a high high volume seller, but still does decent.  But how to improve it further?  I'm running out of ideas to test.

Its a B2C/B product.  But at that price ofcourse not an impulse buy.

What would you try?
Any suggestions on scaling big?
Anonymouse Send private email
Saturday, November 28, 2009

I would try either add-ons for your product or a sister product that works with it.  Create an environment where your products support each other and therefore sell each other.

Without more details that's all I can offer.
RedmondKoder Send private email

Anonymouse - good job! Private mail me if you want my opinion.

In general, here's my top 5. Don't know which you've done:

1. Look at trial downloads to sales ratio. If it's dismal [<2%], look hard at improving your *customer's first 2 minutes using your product.
2. Look at your overall traffic. If it's low, what are you going to do about it? Consider a *microsite: it works.
3. Look at your primary market (the keywords that people find you with). Is it too narrow? Use Google's new *Wonder Wheel to find better keywords. See http://bit.ly/5uSMok
4. Look at your product - does it have a regular online heartbeat of incremental goodness (fixes/improvements) so people know it's alive?
5. Look at yourself - Is your tech support *giving your customers a great experience or making them hate you? Lou Carbone is the master re engineering customer experience: highly recommend his book. [http://bit.ly/6MZfsW]

* Yes they will be, as soon as I can write them.
Bob Walsh Send private email

100k what?  Dollars?  Downloads?  Sales?
Jason Send private email

mula :)
Anonymouse Send private email

I can't give you good advice without knowing more, but one shot in the dark is that the SEO of most sites which are 4 months old is terrible.  In particular, they lack trust due to lack of links (and also Google's built-in preference for established sites).  I'd start thinking "What can I do to acquire trusted links?" and "How can I improve my SEO to get more visitors, trial users, and eventually customers?"
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email
Sunday, November 29, 2009

#1. Try to upsell:
http://www.drexplain.com/isv-kaizen-blog/distribution/22-things-you-can-sell-besides-your-software/

e.g. offer support and maintenance plans.

#2. Try off-line methods: cold calls, trade shows, conferences, print press.

#3. Improve SEO

#4. Cut & optimize expenses .

#5. Look for add-on, plug-in ideas.

#6. Bundle with complementary products\services.
Dennis Crane Send private email
Sunday, November 29, 2009

> running out of ideas to test.

It'd help if you list what you have already tested.

OTOH, 25K/mo may be a natural cap on your growth.
Serge Vershin Send private email
Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Good job, Anonymouse.

@Bob Walsh,

Would you explain a little bit about a microsite for promoting a software? Thank you.
Edwin Send private email
Wednesday, December 02, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics