* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

New Product - Looking for feedback on site and product

First of all, thanks to people like Joel, Bob, Eric, Andy, Patrick and all the other regulars here that have spent many hours helping get startups going.

After way, way, too long, and a number of aborted projects I'm launching my new product, PicCrop.

In short, it's a windows application that lets you quickly and easily crop your photos and make sure they print correctly without getting stretched and distorted.

I'd really appreciate it if you get chance to take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.PicCrop.com

Thanks
IanH.
IanH. Send private email
Monday, September 28, 2009

is the logo blurry or have taken too much coffee?

i really like the colors, congrats! the website is simple and easy to navigate.

i however don't see the paragraph that tells me why i should buy your application when hundreds of free applications do the same thing. some are even online so i don't have to install anything.
victor a.k.a. python for ever Send private email

- I love the website and specially the logo.
- Purchase page is not working
- The product looks really nice on the screenshots.

Though I'm no connoisseur about the available free products, I think the product fills a real need, working with photos is not an easy task, specially for non-techies. If you make it real easy and friendly to use,  you can succeed.

Good luck! keep us posted...
Javier Send private email

> is the logo blurry or have taken too much coffee?

I think you're right. It looks like the export from the graphics package has smoothed the edges too much.

> i however don't see the paragraph that tells me why i should buy your application.....

The sales copy needs work. Man its difficult.

> Purchase page is not working

It's not enabled at the moment.

Thanks
IanH.
IanH. Send private email

Hi Ian,

Not the greatest name (try saying it) - but I know how tough naming is. At least it has got a decent SEO word in it.

Point 3 has "(how?)" in it. Should this be a hyperlink?

Nice looking website. But I reach the bottom of the home page - and then what? There should be a big fat shiny call-to-action (e.g. download free trial now!).

Red-eye doesn't seem to fit with the other functions very well. I would concentrate on being thebest resizing/cropping tool - rather than trying to do everything (for now, anyway).

A while back I was printing some of my arty photos to poster size and I wanted them to have x% white border, but fit a given pixel size. They were all different sizes after I had cropped them. I had to write a spreadsheet and then do a 2 stage resize (resize image, as calculated by spreadsheet, then resize canvas to add border). Maybe that is something your software can do? It fits quite nicely with cropping. You could even add a fancy frame (not just white or black).

I would consider approaching other shareware/misvs with photo software and seeing if they are prepared to market your software to their existing customers in return for a percentage.

Haven't tried the software yet.

What are you going to price it at?
Andy Brice Send private email

BTW 95% of consumers don't know what the difference is between a BMP, a JPG or a GIF or even what image compression is. So don't assume they do!
Andy Brice Send private email

Below are the thoughts that occur to me, feel free to take them or leave them :)

- email me the download link if you want feedback on the application itself.

- webpage definitely missing something to frame it at the bottom

- Would the "Easily Create Professional Look..." red text be better in  green or the same dark blue/grey as the header ? Red doesn't really fit into the color scheme.

- The front page copy could be more direct about the uses or picCrop.  Rather than listing the features, list the problems eg. 

"
It's the perfect photo but the wrong size !
The paper size doesn't match the image !
I've chosen the photo and frame but they're different sizes!
It's a great shot but they've got red eye!

PicCrop can solve your problem in seconds.
"

- The logo is great

- You could have a gallery of before and after images.  For example in the before a group photo and in the after an image of a single person from the photo in a nice frame.  I guess to some extent your have this on the features page.

- Have you given any thoughts to marketing  ? Adwords ? I guess there must be a huge number of photography forums, blogs and websites.
Sam H Send private email

The site looks great from a visual perspective, but like some other comments - I can't download a beta, trial or purchase, so worst case scenario: you get me interested, then discouraged or pissed off; it's not the type of product I'm going to check back on or contact you for a trial.
Mark Dochstader Send private email

+1 to everything Sam said.
I like the website.  You definitely need a BIG DOWNLOAD button on your home page.  Even people from this forum didn't notice the Download menu item at the top.
ScottK Send private email

So you don't think I'm ignoring the feedback, I can implement some of the changes mega quick, but others might take me a little more time....

As much as I would like to take credit for the logo, I have to give credit to DesignOutpost. It least it looks like I picked the right one!

> The name
Spent some time on this. Loads of great names have already been registered. It is difficult to say out loud, but I stuck with it because visually the word is distinctive, short and hopefully easy to remember.

>Point 3 has "(how?)" in it. Should this be a hyperlink?

Removed. It was supposed to remind me to create a page showing how the application is used in more detail. I've not created the page yet.

> There should be a big fat shiny call-to-action

Will do.

> Red-eye

Red eye made it onto the short list of features that I thought users might need going from camera to print. I held off adding many other features (such as colour correction) to keep the marketing focused.

> I would concentrate on being the best resizing/cropping tool

That's what I had in mind

> white border,

Although not intended, you can "sort of" do this. You can set the border sizes on the print preview form. Although this is a non print areas, whereas I think you wanted to print the border.

Price I'm thinking of is around the 30 USD mark.

> webpage definitely missing something to frame it at the bottom

I did have something but had browser compatibility problems so removed it for now.

> Red doesn't really fit into the color scheme.

I've been unsure about the red myself. The blue/grey made the page look a bit bland though.

Sam, thanks for the page copy examples. For some, this sort of thing just rolls of their fingers, for others......

> I can't download a beta, trial or purchase

Good point. I was thinking of emailing the links to people but now included a link on the download page.
IanH. Send private email

The site looks nicely done (I believe it's as good as other sites posted here by successful consumer product companies over the years) .

I agree there needs to be a Big Bottom Button in the action area at the bottom of your page. It doesn't have to be anything fancy--just somewhere to go or something to do.

I think Sam H.'s recommendation for before-and-after photos is a good example of "Show, don't tell."

"About Us" seems to have a nice story and personal touch.

>>The sales copy needs work. Man its difficult.

Reminds me of the (translated) Blaise Pascal quote:

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time."
Michael Ryan Send private email

Maybe you should rename Setup.exe installation file to include the name of your application. For a CD version probably it would not be a problem, but downloadable program could be easily lost with such a general name.
Goran Burcevski Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics