* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

How do you A/B test a purchase page?

How do u make sure that a visitor that landed on version A of the test page never sees version B when they return say after purchase or activation.

I want to test a much higher price for my product.

How do you recommend handling this?

Please share your experiance with price increase and if it was worth it, or if you went back to original price?

What could go wrong?

What to know before testing?
Anonymouse Send private email
Saturday, September 26, 2009

Try Google Website Optimizer:
https://www.google.com/analytics/siteopt/

But, I'm not sure if it will work for HTTPS links.
Chester Send private email

Cookie, I guess.

But I'd be really annoyed visiting the site from another computer and suddenly see a different price (both higher and lower are annoying for different reasons) . Try at least make it look as a random lottery win or something ("you've won a $25 discount!")
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email

Vladimir,

I don't think this is good idea. Offering a discount will have higher conversation that not offering one. So, results will not be accurate
Chester Send private email
Sunday, September 27, 2009

If you're looking at raising the price, show the higher one, but charge the lower when they submit the sale. Put something after confirmation showing that, "For a limited time, we are offering this lower price."

That was you see how many people were willing to pay the higher price. Possible downside is lost sales from the higher price. Possible upside is it appears more valuable and you get *increased* sales.

Only do this if you get enough regular sales to see results quickly. Decide in advance how many visits to the two sales pages you want to see before making a decision, and what numbers you're looking for. i.e.: After 200 visits to the sales page, if I am seeing no worse than 50% decrease in sales volume, I will switch to the higher price.
Drew Kime Send private email

would AB testing the main first  Index.html page somehow get google to crawl the  version B test when it comes to the site?

I'd hate for that to happen, as I want to see if I can use a different frontpage as the Index.html page.  Which could backfire if google reads the 2nd version thats being tested and uses its content and somehow I loose traction on googles search pages.

What do you think?

Or would google know which is the original page when it crawls the site?
Anonymouse Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics