* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

What happened to ChatSpring?

I just took a tour of chatspring and it looks interesting.

But, the company blog is down and the owner's blog is down as well.
Is anyone using/paying for this?
Any feedback?
Web dude Send private email
Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hey there, thanks for looking at Chatspring :) As you can tell, its pretty much in mothballs mode. I'm maintaining it for existing customers, but it's not under active development.
Starr Horne (ChatSpring Live Chat) Send private email

Starr,
Just curious, what happened? Why is it not under active development? It seems to be a fantastic product.
Web dude Send private email

@Starr, you are in my mind one of the successful mISV and a BOS member, what happened ?
Dev S Send private email
Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I too am very much interested in knowing Starr's thoughts on ChatSpring.com and why he's not developing it any further

(unless offcourse the reason is personal and has nothing to do with chatspring itself)
ATS Dude Send private email
Thursday, September 17, 2009

I am friends with the proprietor. He is making enough money with chatspring and doesn't want any more customers.

No, I just made that up.
Anonymoose Send private email
Thursday, September 17, 2009

We use ChatSpring as the live chat on our product site, and I will say that we haven't had availability / performance issues.  Since releasing the commercial version of our product it has produced more results for us that previously, but I do expect that we will replace it sometime in the next 6 months to get a chat service with a real client for Windows.  The reason being that we have it on in the background and need it to pop up and shout at us when someone wants to chat, and have better presence awareness.  There's nothing like the pain of seeing someone open a chat attempt with a good question and knowing you missed it because you stepped away from your desk and forgot to click it off...
Kendall Miller Send private email
Friday, September 18, 2009

Hello,
An alternative tool is ChatBadge.com.  It's a similar tool that is actively supported from Brighton, U.K.

We welcome feedback and new feature requests. If you have any questions, please contact andy - at - chatbadge - dot - com

Disclosure: I'm the founder of ChatBadge.

Best,
Andy Gill
Director
ChatBadge.com
Andrew Gill Send private email
Wednesday, September 23, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics