* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Today is a good day to backup

I was cleaning up my source directory today by removing some folders I no longer need using this flawed batch file (DO NOT USE IT):

FOR /F "tokens=*" %%G IN ('DIR /B /AD /S __obj') DO RMDIR /S /Q %%G

Unfortunately, I don't have quotes around the second %%G, and a few months ago I used windows to copy my "Source" folder.  It named the directory "Source - Copy".  So when I ran the batch file, instead of deleting "Source - Copy\blah\blah\blah\__obj", I managed to nuke "Source".  Stuff deleted in dos doesn't go to the recycling bin, so I could have been pretty screwed (my last subversion check in was weeks ago)

Fortunately for me, Benji Smith's calamity at http://benjismith.com prompted me to rethink my backup situation 6 months ago, and since then I've been running daily, automated, offsite backups at idrive.com (and it turns out they were actually keeping those backups).  It took me all of 5 minutes to fully recover.  So thank you Benji and IDrive, and remember that today is a good day to setup a good backup plan.
Clusterflock Send private email
Saturday, September 12, 2009

i use carbonite.

but i just saw idrive's plan and all, and signed for the free package. if i like it better, i would have to wait a year and a half in order to change :)
victor a.k.a. python for ever Send private email
Saturday, September 12, 2009

"my last subversion check in was weeks ago"

You might want to take a closer look at that. Backups are not the only reason to use source control. I'm the only one working on my code, but subversion still makes my life immensely easier.
Still Anon Send private email
Sunday, September 13, 2009

>> "my last subversion check in was weeks ago"

>> You might want to take a closer look at that.

Yeah, no doubt.  I think I'll add something like AJC active backup to the mix as well.  I usually don't go that long without a check-in (the reason involves a new SSD, moving some active projects there to test it out, and not going back :) ), but I've still been caught a few times wishing I had a more recent version in SVN.  I think the key (at least for me) is to make everything automatic.
Clusterflock Send private email

svn ci should be like CTRL+S. I don't know how any developer goes for more than one day without checking something in.
Anonymoose Send private email

I remember once being on a customer doing some tests on their software's working directory. It was a UNIX machine.

I needed to delete a temporary file I've just created. I was in a hurry and since it was the only ".clp" file on that directory, I just typed an "*" for the file name.

Unfortunately, my shift-key finger was slow and at the end I typed

rm *>clp

and the customer's work was gone. sh*t!!!!!

Fortunately they had backups.
Rui Curado Send private email
Monday, September 14, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics