* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

software for market

How polished should software be for resale? I've got some useful utilities that I've put together and have thought about putting together a web page and selling them for $15 or something.

The problem is, that there's no installation program and I haven't put together a web page...by the time I create an install and a web page I'm afraid I'll have invested a lot more time than I'm likely to recoup by selling the utilities...
RestlessOne Send private email
Friday, September 11, 2009

What do you expect from your users? Are those utilities so awesome that your users would say "never mind tough installation process and no web page to turn to for help - I want those $15 utilities!!!"
Maciej Gorny Send private email

So what is the effect of having a really basic install and not much help? If the user purchases the software and it's not that polished, would he/she return it? How to determine how much effort to sink into setup program and documentation/help before releasing it?

Esp. the basic install. I'm thinking of using the standard visual studio install builder.
RestlessOne Send private email

If your utilities are for Windows, then learning to create an installer w/ Inno Setup would be an investment of your time, not a waste of it.

For the web site, you could get cheap shared hosting from GoDaddy, install WordPress, and get a free template. You could have a plain, but well-structured site up fairly quickly.
Nicholas Hebb Send private email

+1 for Inno Setup
It has example scripts so it is easy to get started, a unicode installer (if you downlaod that one), looks very professional...

Note: I am not affiliated with Inno Setup.
Adam Papp Send private email

Simple: don't bother.

If your total development costs exceed the potential income, you already have a losing proposition, so drop the idea.
farmboy Send private email
Saturday, September 12, 2009

"? I've got some useful utilities that I've put together and have thought about putting together a web page and selling them for $15 or something."

If you're gonna make some effort, you must have a plan to get herds of people to your site (zillions of visitors, because a low % will download and a almost nil % will buy). Besides that you must have a clear value proposition or nobody at all will buy. I'm learning it the hard way...

good luck!
Javier Send private email
Saturday, September 12, 2009

Hope you would not mind me plugging our free tool here. It may take literally two mouse clicks to create an installer with it:

http://installer.excelsior-usa.com/tutorials/two-clicks-demo.htm
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Sunday, September 13, 2009

+1 for Inno Setup. 

It's free, powerful, simple to learn. There's a ton of resources online.  Learn it once and it adds polish to every Windows application you ever deploy.
Keith DeLong Send private email
Monday, September 21, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics