* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

What else to improve my site? Part II

Hi All,

Sometime ago I asked for suggestions on how to improve my site (http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?biz.5.752472.11).  Thanks again to everyone who commented.

Since then I've made a lot of changes based on those comments, other feedback and inspiration from some other sites.

I think it's much better now - cleaner, brighter, more informative but I've been looking at it too long and need some fresh eyes - so I'd be grateful for any comments.

http://www.cantabilesoftware.com

Thanks in advance.
Brad
Brad Robinson Send private email
Thursday, July 30, 2009

Darn, that is a nice page.  I sincerely wish I had your skill with web design. 

Take off the features button.  You'll be stealing a metric ton of clicks from download.  Additionally, put a big bloody download button on the features page, too.

At the front page, you have a download text link at the bottom.  Replace or augment this with another big bloody download button.  It will make a difference, trust me.

There is no law that says you can't bold the important bits of testimonials.  Especially when they're light grey, they don't exactly catch the eye like blah blah blah NATURALLY, EASILY, and QUICKLY blah blah blah BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT blah blah blah does.

Your testimonials page is too long and too undirected.  I'd suggest aligning it like you do on your features page -- this will make it seem like you have a lot of testimonials (you do) and eliminate scrolling (always a plus).  Then, and you will hear me repeat this theme a few more times, put a big bloody download button on this page.  Otherwise the page is like a roach motel -- users check in, they don't check out.  (Why make someone who just got done ready testimonial #471 have to scroll up to the top of the page, locate the main navigation bar, figure out which one is the download, click to that page, then click the download button?  Big bloody download button!  One click to happy!  Attention span of gnat on meth!)

The individual features on your features page don't lead anywhere.  Every last one of those pages is in your conversion funnel.  You know what they would be improved by?  That's right, a big bloody download button.  Also, forward/back navigation might be a plus, but only after you add the big bloody download button.

Incidentally, put more text on all of them and you'll get some serious search engine loving.

See: http://www.cantabilesoftware.com/features/metronome.html

With just a little more text that page could be optimized to rank well for things like "software metronome", etc.  Assume somebody reading it has NOT read the other things on your site (i.e. start with a line like "The Cantabile audio performance software includes a metronome.  This allows you to...")

Now, look at what I wrote above regarding Big Bloody Download Buttons -- it all goes ditto for Big Bloody Buy Buttons. 

Your purchasing page says "Click on feature descriptions for more information."  This is not a good idea -- the purchasing page should make a last, focused attempt on grabbing the sale from someone who has spent serious effort evaluating your software, not on sending them down a rabbit hole of a million and one things to investigate which do not include "put in your credit cards".  Put two to three high-impact testimonials prominently on this page, using the bolding trick I already discussed. 

Put credit card logos on or near your purchase buttons.  You will not believe how much this increases transactions -- test if you don't believe me.  Paypal gives buttons you can use for this purpose -- they've been tested exhaustively because they make Paypal millions.  (See my purchasing page for examples.)

Make the moneyback guarantee more prominent.  (I'd suggest making it an icon.
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email
Thursday, July 30, 2009

Great advice from Patrick - as always.

Brad, kudos for doing the things Patrick suggested immediately. It looks great.
Steve McLeod Send private email
Friday, July 31, 2009

Yup! Beautiful website.

I thank you Patrick 'cause I'm implementing your recommendations as well.

:o)
MCoder Send private email
Friday, July 31, 2009

Wow Patrick, that's some seriously useful advice!

I still need to seo and flesh out the features pages but otherwise I've made changes for just about every one of your suggestions. 

Thanks for taking the time to give such detailed feedback.

@Steve: thanks too for your kind words.

(btw, I can't take credit for the design/look of the site - mostly it's just inspired by things I like from other sites).
Friday, July 31, 2009

Beautiful and original website.
Javier Send private email
Friday, July 31, 2009

I really liked the idea of how screen shots are displayed. This is something quite interesting. The only thing I'd do is to make sure that when you click on the header, the buttons on the bottom don't jump about. Perhaps, putting the top buttons on the side like a list and save space to show the picture and text, but making sure that layout is steady. I think your idea is way better than jumping popups with zoom and faded background. Cool stuff. Good luck!
Dima Send private email
Friday, July 31, 2009

Thanks everyone for your kind words and feedback.

FYI: The screen shot page uses Gallerriffic jQuery library available here:  http://www.twospy.com/galleriffic/
Sunday, August 02, 2009

Patrick mentioned the benefit of having credit card logos near your purchase buttons.  Here is the Paypal page for creating payment buttons:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_wp-standard-overview-outside&nav=2.0.0
Jon Lundberg Send private email
Monday, August 03, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics