* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

BitsDuJour Feedback After The Fact

Hi,

I ran a sale of my product through BitsDuJour and wanted to post my results, impressions and hopefully get some input on a couple of questions.

1. The results:

The promotion occurred on Sunday May 17th. I was a little worried that having the promotion on a Sunday meant I wouldn't get any sales. This was something that was beyond my control so I just tried to ignore it. I posted a blog entry on my site regarding the promotion and eagerly awaited the results. During the promotion I received 17 sales of the product, which was more than I was expecting and left me feeling very positive about the whole experience.

2. My Impressions:

During the day Sunday, I was at my son's baseball tournament and I had my iPhone email account setup to receive notification whenever a sale went through. I have to say it was an incredibly euphoric feeling receiving emails throughout the day indicating that I was making money and that people were validating my original idea, all while enjoying a baseball game. I don't really know how the day could have been much better.

The people at BitsDuJour were great, the emails and feedback I got were awesome and I was really impressed with their assistance and attention to detail. I was also really impressed with the copy they came up with and ended up using it for posting my software to other download/asp sites.

3. Questions.

I still am struggling with where to promote my product. I was thinking of sending an email to each of my new sales and try to get their feedback but I wasn't sure how this would be received.  I was thinking of presenting it as obtaining their feedback on new updates while trying to glean their posting and surfing habits. Do you think this is a good idea?

I was also planning on using Google's web site optimizer to run some A/B testing on my landing page and use some of the copy that BitsDuJour created. Does anyone have any experience with Google's WSO?

4. General Comments

I purchased "The 4 Steps to the Epiphany" based on a recommendation from a post here and I must say it has been an interesting read. I think it is a good book and would be very beneficial to anyone starting out with a new product/idea.

All in all I would whole-heartedly recommend BitsDuJour for anyone selling their own software. It has been a great experience for my.

Cheers,

Kevin
KPMoore Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Thanks for the update!
Monique Stover (SeaGreen Software) Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2009

It may not matter to you since you are exclusively for MS, but in FF 3.0.10 on Linux x86_64 (Fedora 10) your website's layout is broken.
dhimes Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2009

You should do several  short videos and post them on youtube. Embed them in your website.

Get a statistics program. Study your stats weekly.
Buy some books on SEO from amazon.

I think your idea is great. The site looks great. But I hate outlook. I suspect there may be some more like me. But its a big world. Once you learn how to work the site based on the stats sales will pickup.
Joe Knapp Send private email
Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Thanks for sharing the stats.
Mo Flanagan Send private email
Thursday, May 21, 2009

I typed in "project management outlook"  and your site is not on the list.
Joe Knapp Send private email
Thursday, May 21, 2009

Joe,

Thanks for the info, that is something that I am working on, improving my SEO for the site. Obviously I've got a way to go still.

Cheers,

Kevin
KPMoore Send private email
Thursday, May 21, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics