* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

.com domain & product specific domain?

Hello,

My website is hosted with a country-specific domain (www.abcde.com.xy).
And I've few software listed under this website.

I'm thinking on the following two issues:
1. Move my website to a .com domain?
2. Build website for every software, ie. www.product-a.com, www.product-b.com

As the existing domain is used for 3-4 years, and existing software listings/submission all point to the existing domain.
If we make the above changes, we are worry that we need to start everything from zero.

Any opinion is highly appreciated.
I'm Anonymous Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I wouldn't rush to fix anything that isn't broken.  That said, if you want to move to a .com domain, buy the .com, point it at your server, and 301 redirect all of the old domain URLs to the same URL on the new domain.  This will cause a little bit of fluctuation in your search results but after a week or so you'll generally be right about where you started, with the accumulated links & trust mostly credited to the .com.
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I would suggest the 301 redirect as Patrick suggested. For each product try to find good .com domain - this helps to SEO.
Appraisal Mind Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"...Build website for every software, ie. www.product-a.com, www.product-b.com."

This technique is only useful if there's no obvious connection between product-a and product-b.  For example, if you wrote a game for the Blackberry, and a Windows application desktop application for calculating mortgage interest, offering both products at the same site would create confusion.

If they are related, for example, they're all financial planning tools and they all work on Windows XP, then they should all be in the same domain.
TheDavid Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Thanks for the reply  : )
I'm Anonymous Send private email
Wednesday, May 20, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics