* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Location based content service app, any comments?

Hi,

With location aware devices coming out everyday I was thinking of building something to try things out. After some thought it soon turned out that easily getting the proper content to show on the location aware app is really the biggest problem.

So this led me to making a service for providing content. Simple idea: you give your lat/long and type of content you want the app returns with a list data from its database.  Then you can just use that data on your app.

Some people got very interested about this and pushed me into investing in getting proper content/ update and aggregating content in a regular basis. Anyway, here is the site:

www.blipscape.com

I'd be glad to hear any comments/improvement ideas/criticism...

Its already generating some pocket money, but whatever the future is, I can at least now concentrate on building that app I wanted to build in the first place :)
Wahid blip Send private email
Monday, May 18, 2009

Wahid, the idea is brilliant. I'm surprised you don't want to make more out of it.

Do you have any competitors?
GXT 4 life Send private email
Monday, May 18, 2009

Impressive !!

Question: how does someone with a specific content for certain location get included in your database?
Javier Send private email
Monday, May 18, 2009

Congratulations.  It looks very well done.  I am impressed.

My only concern is the 500 calls per day threshold.  There are a lot of iPhone applications that utilize data like yours and collectively, they make more than 500 calls.  However, because there are so many competitors trying to provide location aware Apps on the iPhone, I would be surprised if more than...  say 10% of your customer base has enough "market share" to pass along some of their revenues to you.  The 90% under the threshold could wind up eating you out of home.

I could totally be wrong, this is just a thought.  If I'm right, you may want to consider some sort of royalty program as well, or lowering that threshold as you become more and more popular.
TheDavid Send private email
Monday, May 18, 2009

How are you getting your data?

Are you brokering Google data?
Hiding from my customers Send private email
Monday, May 18, 2009

Thanks for the insights.

Let me try answering some of the questions:

Do you have any competitors?

Not that I know of. I actually searched a lot for a provider like this for my original plan but finding none. There are a lot of places where you can buy feeds for a particular type of information but there is nothing that provides a wide range of data.

From the business angle my plan is to see what kind of demand there is for this type of service and more importantly improve the quality and breadth of the content and see if it makes sense financially.

how does someone with a specific content for certain location get included in your database?

ooh I like the idea. Currently there is no interface of course, but since I have a small team for adding data, I can easily setup some kind of request process. Also public submission is also possible with an API ...opening mashup possibilities... hmm nice.

"My only concern is the 500 calls per day threshold"

I totally understand your point. My initial feeling was to go for a trial period and then a payment thing. But hey, I can only say stuff like that if the content is super good or the coverage is much wider ... So my plan is to improve on the content front and then maybe drop the number free calls to a lower number...

How are you getting your data?
Are you brokering Google data? 

Well, I have a small group of students with a professional content editor as the lead to research the content in for most of the types. The process is slow (its been running for 5 months now) and costly. I am also  partnering with a few feed providers and directory service provider - this should be my real way out. Scripting with google API is another possibility but I don't know what the distribution rights are for that, probably allowed but need to check.
Wahid blip Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Wahid,

I think your business idea has a huge potential. You need business advice ASAP and probably investment from angels or VCs.

"The process is slow (its been running for 5 months now) and costly. "

Of course it is, to develop it faster you need capital, and to grow to full potential, you must act fast.

Good luck!
Javier Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics