* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Need marketing advice!

I have a budget of about £300 to spend on marketing Ubercode, and I want to either reach more people or to improve the downloads by making the product look or perform better. So far I have thought of some possibilities:

- Spend the money on a website makeover, maybe by buying a template and some stock graphics (the existing site is http://www.ubercode.com )

- Spend it on making a new set of icons that I could use in the application and on the existing website.

- Spend it on google adwords (I have never used these).

- Buy a mailing list of possible users and contact them all? (not sure about this one).

- Pay people on rentacoder to add a new feature.

- Pay for a new logo.

I would be interested in any ideas anyone has!

Many thanks, Will Rayer
Will Rayer Send private email
Sunday, May 17, 2009

How about a contest for people new to programming. Best app gets an iPod touch? Sounds like it is within your financial reach.

You might be able to advertise to schools and stuff.

VB gave mere mortals powerful tools to do their work. Your software seems like it would appeal to mere mortals who still exist, believe it or not.
GXT 4 life Send private email
Sunday, May 17, 2009

iPod touch + free license, that is
GXT 4 life Send private email
Sunday, May 17, 2009

£300 on adwords would be wasted IMHO. The money would be gone before you worked out what works.
Andy Brice Send private email
Sunday, May 17, 2009

60-80 $USD on a good, modern, professional premium web site template.
$20 on iStockphoto graphics at $1/each of people programming.
$0 on a mix of the screencasting tools Ian Ozsvald supplied us at http://startuppodcast.wordpress.com/2009/04/04/show-21-the-art-and-science-of-screencasts/ with the goal of

1. 30 second "This Is Ubercode" screencast for home page.
2. 2 minute "This is why Ubercode is good screencast"

And, honestly, $19 on my ebook, MicroISV Sites that Sell! to help you create a Hook ("Ubercode - the easiest way to create programs!" is not a hook), credibility markets and relevant value to better present Ubercode. (at http://www.47hats.com/?page_id=534)
Bob Walsh Send private email
Sunday, May 17, 2009

This might sound trivial, but: Ditch the exclamation marks that are all over the website - they're the exact opposite of the "credibility markers" that Bob is talking about.
Richie Hindle Send private email
Sunday, May 17, 2009

If you take Bob's advice, you still have over £200 left, which should be spent on the textual content of your website.  Start with a re-write of the main page, and if you have any money left, go after the "Learn more" page.  Other than promiscuous usage of exclamation marks, the overall construction of your website is fine, but the first thing your content needs to accomplish is to make it perfectly clear why I would want to buy Ubercode.  What you need is a wordsmith with a different perspective than yours.  Any other marketing you do (your blog, word of mouth, etc.) should only cost your time.
RGlasel Send private email
Sunday, May 17, 2009

Do you know where you're losing purchases?  Web footprint (seo/links)/website/download/install/order?  If you know that, you'll know more about where to spend the money. If many people visit, download and then don't buy, then smarten up the app. Etc.
Richard (Tudumo) Send private email
Monday, May 18, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics