* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Subscription, billing & payment management for a SaaS/PaaS ISV

We are an ISV with a history of selling high value(>$20k per annum) B2B PaaS offerings to a small number of tier 1 customers in a niche market.

We are about to launch a new lower-priced B2B PaaS offering which is targeted to a much larger market. Until now we have survived without any sophisicated billing management, subscription management or payment system; a manual process and an Excel spreadsheet is all that is required. However I believe we will run into difficulties with the expected volume; automated systems would be required. To help us focus on our core business, we have made a decision to outsource or make use of third-party software as much as possible for the billing, payment and subscription management requirements.

The two business model of the new PaaS product
1. Quarterly recurring subscription ($1k per quarter) with free trial period
2. One-off usage (>$1k, dependent on features required, probably would use a virtual currency system)

These are what we want to achive:
1. Subscription and billing management - tracking of customer details, subscriptions, virtual currency, history of all transactions
2. Automatic invoice generation and automatic recurring credit card payment processing
3. Automatic provisioning and de-provisioning of service when a subscription (i.e. through hook to our back end processes)
4. Prospect would be able to create an account, and start a trial subscription and automatically provisioned without any human intervention.

I understand that some parts would obviously require custom integration, but I am hoping that we can outsource/license the parts for subscription, biling and payment management.

We are currently investigating Vindicia & Zuora, but we want to investigate other possibilities. What suggestions do you have? I don't believe the vendors at http://www.c6software.com/articles/ecommercefees.aspx would be able to satisfy the needs at a reasonable price (they seem to be generally geared for the smaller transactions, not >$1k transactions), but am I mistaken? Is there some off the shelf software (open source or commercial) that will do a good job of subscription management?

What is your advice?

Thank you in advance.
PaaS ISV Send private email
Sunday, May 17, 2009

My product, the SaaS Rails Kit, at http://railskits.com/saas may be a good fit for your needs, if you are open to using Ruby on Rails.  It's not a billing service, but rather a Rails application you would run on your server that (optionally) takes credit card info during account creation, stores that info with a credit card gateway, and bills periodically.  It wouldn't take much additional code to hook into your provisioning system.
Benjamin Curtis Send private email
Monday, May 18, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics