A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.
We're closed, folks!
Doug Nebeker ("Doug")
Some time ago I published my site
here, got great feedback (tongue lashing was more like it!) and I took another shot at it while attempting to take care of most of the observations.
Is it better now? Your feedback is appreciated.
A couple of people requested beta a few weeks ago and they've been using the product. I thought I could open it for others now to try (no time limits). I've come this far with this simple product, and I'm anxious to get it out!
Thanks a bunch,
When you say the demo is so small and makes no sense do you mean the size of the demo (i.e the window viewing size) or the actual content of the demo makes no sense?
- i thought i would be able to change that black background that i did not like.
- even if it's a .NET application, it took 2-3 minutes to startup this timer.
- i had no clue that the slider at the bottom left was controlling the degree of transparency.
- what is the purpose of the button next to the slider?
- why all these ".." in menu names?
- i cannot get rid of "File tasks", why? (trial limitation?)
still testing =]
1. 2-3 minutes to start?! that's odd - I've never faced it while testing or in other betas.. I've only noticed that it takes a few seconds the very first time it's started
2. ... just :)
3. Color/themes - coming later.
4. File tasks - it's always on (pre-built), for now it can't be removed. I don't anticipate removing it either, but it won't be available in non-business versions anyway
5. Why there was no explanation on the slider - I feel that some features are just..tried once and understood. Adding labels to everything just clutters the interface. Part of the idea is to keep it clean, so some features while they may not be terribly evident the first time, the moment you use it it's clear. I guess it's just a development philosophy difference.
Thanks for trying and providing feedback, it's appreciated. If there are specific things you like now and want to be improved further, please do let me know.
First of all, congratulations on the first release.
I guess we are competitors of a kind, I am selling a timer for FreshBooks. Some feedback:
For me as a Windows user it is a bit strange to have the save button on the most right.
I would allow starting the timer without selecting a task.
It was not immediately clear to me how to submit the time, I guess somewhere in the right-menu options, but I didn’t saw a button or something to just submit. Maybe this should be more obvious.
Not sure is it possible to collaborate on a project, if not you should think about that. All projects having more than one worker will need this.
Monday, May 11, 2009
The buy link leads to a "Not available" page at Fastspring. I checked my Fastspring page and it works fine (phew!), so I'd double-check the URL if I were you.
Monday, May 11, 2009
it isn't available yet for purchase - my buy page specifies the date. I guess I need to fix it to avoid confusion.
Is it just me or the quality of the screenshots on the home page is really low? This gives a really bad impression
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.Other recent topics
Powered by FogBugz