* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Worked on JoS Site feedback - take 2, is it better now?

Some time ago I published my site

http://www.workwolf.com

here, got great  feedback (tongue lashing was more like it!) and I took another shot at it while attempting to take care of most of the observations.

Is it better now? Your feedback is appreciated.

A couple of people requested beta a few weeks ago and they've been using the product. I thought I could open it for others now to try (no time limits). I've come this far with this simple product, and I'm anxious to get it out!

Thanks a bunch,
uwf - WorkWolf.com Send private email
Monday, May 11, 2009

someone suggested "free trial" instead of "download free", so i'm gonna suggest that too.

the demo is so small and makes practically no sense to me. fortunately i need that kind of application so i'm downloading it the trial.
Victor the Python Artist Send private email
Monday, May 11, 2009

Victor,

When you say the demo is so small and makes no sense do you mean the size of the demo (i.e the window viewing size) or the actual content of the demo makes no sense?
Monday, May 11, 2009

first impressions:

- i thought i would be able to change that black background that i did not like.
- even if it's a .NET application, it took 2-3 minutes to startup this timer.
- i had no clue that the slider at the bottom left was controlling the degree of transparency.
- what is the purpose of the button next to the slider?
- why all these ".." in menu names?
- i cannot get rid of "File tasks", why? (trial limitation?)

still testing =]
Monday, May 11, 2009

i meant the size. not the content.
Monday, May 11, 2009

Victor,

1. 2-3 minutes to start?! that's odd - I've never faced it while testing or in other betas.. I've only noticed that it takes a few seconds the very first time it's started

2. ... just :)

3. Color/themes - coming later.

4. File tasks - it's always on (pre-built), for now it can't be removed. I don't anticipate removing it either, but it won't be available in non-business versions anyway

5. Why there was no explanation on the slider - I feel that some features are just..tried once and understood. Adding labels to everything just clutters the interface. Part of the idea is to keep it clean, so some features while they may not be terribly evident the first time, the moment you use it it's clear. I guess it's just a development philosophy difference.

Thanks for trying and providing feedback, it's appreciated. If there are specific things you like now and want to be improved further, please do let me know.
Monday, May 11, 2009

First of all, congratulations on the first release.

I guess we are competitors of a kind, I am selling a timer for FreshBooks. Some feedback:

For me as a Windows user it is a bit strange to have the save button on the most right.

I would allow starting the timer without selecting a task.

It was not immediately clear to me how to submit the time, I guess somewhere in the right-menu options, but I didn’t saw a button or something to just submit. Maybe this should be more obvious.

Not sure is it possible to collaborate on a project, if not you should think about that. All projects having more than one worker will need this.

Good luck
Goran Burcevski Send private email
Monday, May 11, 2009

The buy link leads to a "Not available" page at Fastspring. I checked my Fastspring page and it works fine (phew!),  so I'd double-check the URL if I were you.
Nicholas Hebb Send private email
Monday, May 11, 2009

Nicholas,

it isn't available yet for purchase - my buy page specifies the date. I guess I need to fix it to avoid confusion.
Monday, May 11, 2009

Is it just me or the quality of the screenshots on the home page is really low? This gives a really bad impression
Jordi Cabot Send private email
Tuesday, May 12, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics