* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

New product website - comments appreciated

We’re running an open beta on a .NET developer tool we’ve created and I’d love to hear some feedback on our website:

http://www.GibraltarSoftware.com

Gibraltar collects data from running .NET programs for use during testing and post-release customer support.  It collects trace messages, errors, performance metrics, configuration data.  Lots of great stuff.  And it includes great support for managing and analyzing the data too.

I’m particularly interested in feedback on how we can increase download rates for our free trial.
Jay Cincotta Send private email
Sunday, May 10, 2009

Great looking website!

This is just gut feeling, but I would :

- Change the download button name from "free download" to
"download trial"

I don't think your market is too concerned about "free", i know your app isn't free but the download button using the word "free" makes it seems like it's an appeal. 
"Download this... it's free!!!"

- Remove the exclamation marks from the menu.  They make it harder to read imho.

Are you able to check the page stats ? where are people falling off ? 
Do they come to the front page but not the See It! ? do they come to the Try It! page but not click the download ?

I don't use .net, so it might just be me, but from the nice screen animation on the front page I still don't have a clear idea what Gibraltar actually does.  Integrates, visualises, records information, what information specifically ?
Sam H Send private email
Monday, May 11, 2009

i don't use .NET but even for the programmer that i'm it took time before i understand the purpose of this app. your explanations here seem more clear than what i've seen on the website.
Victor the Python Artist Send private email
Monday, May 11, 2009

Hi Jay,

This looks good however I did not understand the benefits by looking at the site.

I can use Health Monitoring + Log4net Combo to gather similar data, is visualization of the messages is your biggest feature? Sorry I didn't had time to look in too much details on your site, but bird's eye view tells me it is not something unique.

Also how do you install your product ? Do I have to hook message calls to your assemblies in between my application ?

VistaDB is a big name as testimonial, great work!
Dev S Send private email
Monday, May 11, 2009

Your layouts are a little broken:

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/5025/gibscreenie.jpg

Then again, it doesn't seem like your target markets use Firefox 3.0 and Linux like me... ;)
Smiley Send private email
Monday, May 11, 2009

Sam H is right. Remove every exclamation point from the Website. It's juvenile. Also put the download button in the menu. Put it right at the top where I can find it.

I hope the programming in your product is better than that in the Website. Please fix all the HTML and CSS errors.

Don't require registration to get a discount. All early adopters should get a discount. Many are loathe to give up their email addresses. Don't erect barriers to entry.
Charles Brockman Send private email
Monday, May 11, 2009

@Smiley

Yeah, we did cross browser testing on IE8, IE7, IE6, Firefox on Vista, Safari on Mac, but we missed Firefox on Linux.

That screenshot looks pretty bad, but it all relates to the fonts being mapped to something bigger on your machine than what we designed for.  Currently, we try to use Segue (for Vista), Verdana (for XP) or Helvetica (for Mac).  Might it be that none of those fonts are installed on your computer?

Also, even within the fonts we tested, there is variation in font width between fonts.  So, for example, Helvetica 10pt is much wider than Segue 10pt.

We're mulling over a few approaches to address this issue, and I'd love to hear any suggestions on the best/easiest way to implement/maintain font sizing for cross-browser compatibility.
Monday, May 11, 2009

@Charles Brockman

We totally support anonymous downloads.  Entering an email address is not required to download the beta.

We are providing a special discount to registered beta users in appreciation for their investment of time using a pre-release product.  We have not precluded the possibility of an early-adopter discount when we release, but I think it's important to particularly recognize those who contribute at this time.  That's why we provide the option for folks to register if they want.  Or not.
Monday, May 11, 2009

@Dev S

Thanks for taking time to look at our site and thank you for your feedback.

I think we have some unique value, but you're absolutely correct that need to do better at communicating our unique selling points clearly and succinctly.

Yes, we do trace logging like Log4Net (we can even function as a Log4Net Appender) and monitor perf counters like Windows Vista.  We also collect details on unhandled exceptions and a ton of configuration data (see http://www.gibraltarsoftware.com/See/Analyze2.aspx)

Our biggest value over Health Monitoring + Log4Net is that we provide a complete solution for  supporting deployed production apps.  We manage getting the data from end-users to the support team and provide great analysis tools.

Some key values in our analysis include:
- Tracking unique error frequency across many logs
- Cross-log analysis (for example, users by O/S version)
- Time-synchronized display of messages and graphs
- Print-ready reporting
- Easy to collect and analyze custom metrics.

On the last point, for example, VistaDB used Gibraltar to optimize their caching algorithm. You can read about that in Jason Short's blog article: http://vistadb.net/blog/news/gibraltar-opens-beta-to-new-logging-and-reporting-tool/

As to installation/deployment, we install on developer boxes as a nice, well-behaved and Authenticode-signed MSI. For deployment with applications, it's a single assembly that runs in-process on a safe, low-impact background thread. We are easily initialized within the program by calling our API or configured implicitly in the app.config as a TraceListener.
Monday, May 11, 2009

Thanks for the feedback!

We've removed the exclamation points from our nav buttons and spent some time with http://validator.w3.org/ and related tools cleaning up some standard complaince issues.

I think these are great improvements.  What else can we do to improve the site?
Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I think the next step will be to do some user testing. Check your local library for a copy of Steve Krug's "Don't make me think!: a common sense approach to web usability." It's very good.

For a sample, see this page on his Website: http://www.sensible.com/chapter.html
Charles Brockman Send private email
Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Yeah, Steve Krug is great.  I also really like Ben Hunt's guidance on http://webdesignfromscratch.com/
Tuesday, May 12, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics