* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Payment processor for Japan?

Is there anyone who can recommend a payment processor to be used only to sell software online in Japan?

I know that payment processors have been discussed here many times, but here I'm looking for specific suggestions about the Japanese market, i.e. payment in Yen, support in Japanese, order and support pages in Japanese, etc...

Any suggestion will be very appreciated, thanks!
MarcoB Send private email
Thursday, May 07, 2009

FastSpring can support end user payment in Yen and send your vendor payment via international wire, check, Payoneer, or PayPal.  We have a support staff member who can do support in Japanese if needed.  However, while our order page is translated into loads of other languages, we don't yet have it in Japanese, sorry about that. 

- Dan from FastSpring E-Commerce
Dan Engel Send private email
Thursday, May 07, 2009

Avangate has Japanese-language support and billing in yen.

I used to use Plimus, but dropped them mainly because of their poor Japanese support. Namely, you couldn't customize the text on the Japanese-language page, and they displayed yen amounts to two decimal points. They may have fixed this since then, but if you consider them be sure to check on those points.

When I reported these bugs to Plimus, they told me they were feature requests and not bug reports, and basically to not hold my breath waiting to get them implemented.

So I switched to Avangate. :)
They have their own problems, but their Japanese support is perfect.
(User deleted) Send private email
Thursday, May 07, 2009

Oh, and I'll definitely consider FastSpring once they get Japanese-language support.
(User deleted) Send private email
Thursday, May 07, 2009

If I were selling to Japanese customers I would have a backup to credit card payments, since a huge portion of Japanese businesses and individuals either do not have credit cards or do not routinely use them for online transactions.

Other options:

Bank transfers (practically a necessity in B2B here)
Convenience store payments
A zillion and one stored value options, though they appear to be dying out with the exception of the cell-phone wallet variants
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email
Thursday, May 07, 2009

Thanks everyone, it's all very useful and appreciated!

By the way, I'm doing B2C.

Patrick: Re "Convenience store payments", do you have any URLs about that? (Japanese web pages OK)

Thanks again!
MarcoB Send private email
Friday, May 08, 2009

The magic word in Japanese is コンビニ決済  (sometimes コンビニ払い ).  I have no convenient way of knowing which of the options on Google/Yahoo are better than the other ones -- my professional career here has not been B2C focused.
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email
Friday, May 08, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics