* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Conversion Rates Improvements with Code Signing Certificate

I wonder if anybody has some statistics to share to what extent the conversion rates (downloads to sales) improved after using a code signing certificate and therefore getting rid of the warnings when installing the software.

We are not (yet) using a code signing certificate but are strongly considering purchasing one.

We get quite some feedback from our customers but so far nobody complained about the "warning" messages. However, obviously there will be some lost sales due to it but it is difficult to quantify.

We are selling language learning software and therefore our customers are normally private persons with average computer knowledge.

Your feedback is very much appreciated.
Max Schneider Send private email
Wednesday, May 06, 2009

I had few complaints (maybe one out of thousands of downloads) before I started signing, and no obvious conversion increase after I started signing.

But even if the conversion increase were only a few percent, which it might have been and I wouldn't have noticed such a small increase, then that would still more than pay for the  certificate.
Conrad Albrecht Send private email
Wednesday, May 06, 2009

No.

Wasted money.
Hideo Saito Send private email
Thursday, May 07, 2009

I'd suggest going through the trouble to get it.  It'll run you less than $100 for the certificate and maybe a half-day to adjust your build scripts to automate the signing.  If that results in a single additional sale per year from a customer who otherwise would have closed your app without installing it, then it's been worthwhile.

Andy has a rundown of it on his blog, here:

http://successfulsoftware.net/2008/02/27/the-great-digital-certificate-ripoff/

Signing is a pain but, as expenses go, it's too small to be worth worrying about.  Just buy it and it's done.
Tom Rath Send private email
Thursday, May 07, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics