* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Copied by Chinese gov, what do you do?

My company website has been completely copied and (poorly) recycled by Chinese folks, see

Original page at

The funny thing are:
* plenty of "left-over" on the Chinese website from the original one.
* imaginative ways of recycling irrelevant illustrations.
* it's a .gov.cn website, that is to say an official Department of the Government of China.

Any suggestion, beside that life is not long enough to care about copyrights in China?
Joannes Vermorel - Lokad Forecasting Send private email
Friday, May 01, 2009
Wow... Be happy that someone wanted to copy you? I can't believe they are so blatant about it. I'd really like to understand that culture more.
GXT 4 life Send private email
Friday, May 01, 2009
wow, awesome!
Victor the Python Artist Send private email
Friday, May 01, 2009
Interesting.  I can see how you may be ticked off at the blatant theft, but at the same time it's kind of cool.  I find it highly unlikely that it will hurt your business. 

Out of curiosity, how did you find out about this?
Jason Nichols Send private email
Friday, May 01, 2009
Find someone that can read chinese and see what that site is about.  The URL looks suspicious, as do some of the exiting links.  I suspect it's an SEO farm (I've seen pieces of my pages show up in cases like that, but never an exact copy like this).

Maybe you'll suddenly get lots of inquiries from legitimate Chinese government employees?
Doug Send private email
Friday, May 01, 2009
WAW, never seen anything like that... I heard about Chinese piracy, but that is truly amazing.. Scary too. Please update us how it goes..
Dima Send private email
Friday, May 01, 2009
I think they just went for the red colors. Perhaps it's something to do with communist symbolic :)
Dima Send private email
Friday, May 01, 2009
Hey, just be happy that they did not take your website down :)
Anonymouse Send private email
Friday, May 01, 2009
If I was in your position and I knew someone who spoke Mandarin (whether I would be willing to pay a translator to do this is a different matter), I would definitely email the Chinese government department involved, explain the copying, provide the links, and ask that they either take the page down or compensate me.

I would expect that someone low level has been asked to produce a page and they have copied yours but the people above them think they have developed it themselves.

I would contact them just out of curiosity as to what reply I would get.
Sam H Send private email
Friday, May 01, 2009
+1  "Find someone that can read chinese and see what that site is about."

The gov.cn domain may show up on whois because all Internet traffic in China goes through government proxy servers.  Don't assume civil servants are trying to resell your services without your knowledge.
RGlasel Send private email
Saturday, May 02, 2009
The title of the page says:

Page history - Binhu District Personnel Bureau Labor and Social Security

The navigation bar is the sort of thing you would expect from a government website: Organization, Policies and regulations, Performance Pledge, Contact Us - Stuff like that.

The sidebar is news stories you would expect to be of interest to a bureau of labour and social security mainly to do with skills in Taiwan.

Perhaps someone has just pasted your page in to test the CMS?
Dan V Send private email
Saturday, May 02, 2009
For those of you who care, it's the Social Security Department of "Bing Hu District" of the city of "Wu Xi". Which is in the "Jiangsu Province" north of Shanghai. Yes it's the official government department website.

And I'll tell you how this happens.

The government wants a website. So the governors turn to their friends or relatives. These people quickly setup a bogus company. Then hire some teenagers to do the job. I will estimate that this website cost at least $200,000 / year . And eventually, that teenager, who knows nothing about designing, might have picked your site randomly, or a certain design from deviantart.com . After his/her one month job, he/she will get roughly $500, which is a lot of money to him/her. Then voila, the site is up.

It's not just about copyrights though. Such things are happening everywhere. Just think about whether you will succeed if you hire some high-cost guys who really know graphics design, and care about copyrights.... oh wait, but not a relative or friends of the governors.
Bogus Name Genuine Stuff Send private email
Saturday, May 02, 2009
Could this strange link be a glimpse into a secret Chinese network that has copied the entirety of the internet - and each and every one of us has a Chinese doppelgänger website...
Justin Vincent Send private email
Saturday, May 02, 2009
Running through google translate - it appears they have changed the content itself, and used your site as a template/theme for their department or project:
Joel Webb Send private email
Sunday, May 03, 2009
Thanks for the feedback. I have finally decided to start by "informing" the local administration about the problem. I will keep you updated if I ever get a response.
Joannes Vermorel - Lokad Forecasting Send private email
Saturday, May 09, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics