* The Business of Software

A community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Best day/time to send email announcement?

Hello,

I'm getting ready to send an email announcement to my mailing list to let them know about a new release, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience or recommendations for the best day and time to send?

Thanks, looking forward to your thoughts.
Aaron Epstein Send private email
Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Avoid weekends. Tuesday-Thursday has the highest blog readership. Actually, the best time is after you've read it aloud to yourself one last time!
Bob Walsh Send private email

Don't forget about distributed timezones.  Unless you've collected careful information on which timezones belong to which email address, it's unlikely you'll be able to pick a best time.    Add to that not everyone checks email all the time and you're left with a stab in the dark.  Tuesday-Thursday is probably as good a guide as any.  Don't send them on the weekend.
Bruce Chapman Send private email

Tues through Thurs is best in my experience as well, with Tues/Wed being better than Thursday.  Mondays people's inboxes are too full from the weekend and they're overwhelmed with email, they need to dig into work, etc.  Friday people are thinking about the weekend. 

However, it also can depend on the email content.  If you're marketing an entertainment product for example sometimes it can perform better on weekends since weekdays are less about leisure.  There may be fewer email "opens" on weekends but better response for non-productivity product content emails.  At the end of the day the best way to know for sure what's best for your particular product is of course to test the different dates for the same offer and sent to the same type of users (comparing apples to apples across different days).

- Dan
Dan from FastSpring E-Commerce Send private email

Just to echo everyone, go with Tuesdays through Thursdays, if your recipients follow the usual work week. Mondays are always about figuring out where you left off and catching up on emails from the weekend; Fridays emails tend to be forgotten over the weekend.
Jesse Smith Send private email

Regarding time of the day (asuming you have the user's timezone), do you have any sugestions?

Morning, lunch, evening or night?
Hanzo Send private email
Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I would guess the day of the week/time of day you get most sales is also the best time to send emails.
Andy Brice Send private email

+1 for Tue/Wed. In the past I've looked over some statistics, this is the page http://www.emaillabs.com/tools/email-marketing-statistics.html#popularsenddays , and even if it's a bit older I think it still is useful for decisions like this one.
Claudiu Send private email

Definitely Tues/Wed, with Thursday as a second-best. 

Regarding time, we're London-based and our software has a finance bias, so we aim to send them out at 3-4pm London time -- this gives us near-but-not-at the end of the day for Europe, mid-morning for the US East Coast, and early morning for the West Coast. 

(If more of the people on our list were based in Asia, we would consider putting them on a separate list to send to at a different time.)

Cheers,

Giles
Giles Thomas Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics