* The Business of Software

A community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Question about my company name

Hi Guys:

Talking on other ISV forum I got the advice of change my company name because seem to sound very bad in English.

My company name is ArSol, that is a name I selected several years ago trying to find something sounding similar in English than in Spanish. ArSol also has a purport, it stand for AR(duino, that is my real last name)  SOL(utions).

Really sound very bad such name (I noticed that sound similar to "a**hole" or so) and may be an stopper to my possible customers?

I should change it? (I really don't wants to think on change it because you know, is a big big task, I invested a lot of time and money on promotion, search engines, cards, brochures, etc).

I will appreciate your opinions.

Thanks.
Germán Arduino Send private email
Sunday, February 08, 2009

It doesn't sound good in English.

If you don't want to change it, I wonder whether ARSol would be any better.

I think it would be a bit better, and that search engines wouldn't notice the change?
Christopher Wells Send private email

>My company name is ArSol ... I should change it?

I assumed you were joking, until I did a Google.

<finishes laughing after 5 minutes>

YES! If you ever want to have a customer that speaks English, you need to change it. No English speaker will take you seriously while your company is called (near enough) arsehole.net - "arse" being the (much better sounding IMHO) UK English equivalent of the US English "ass".
Andy Brice Send private email

LOL!  Oh dear.  In UK English it certainly sounds like an insult. 

Probably not so bad in US English as they tend to use a word which Rhymes with Lass.  In the UK we use a word that rhymes with Farce.  ArSol sounds like the latter, not the former.    A Brit is going to laugh when they see ArSol written down.  If they hear it first they'd either think you were being rude to them, laugh or just wonder what you're on.  Or all three.  In UK English it is a *very* bad name!  I guess whether you should change it or not is going to depend on which nationalities you are doing business with.

I can just imagine the conversation:

- "So what company do you work for?"
- "ArSol"
- "No need to be rude mate, I was only asking!"

Reminds me of a long time ago when I started working for Siemens.  We had a number of Austrians working at the plant and I was somewhat taken aback when they kept responding to me with what sounded like the same insult.  I eventually discovered they were saying "Ach So" which is actually an affirmative comment, like "Oh Right", or OK.
Marcus Tettmar Send private email

Well, my company is called Ginstrom IT Solutions (GITS). Yes, that's intentional.

Then there was the Japanese programming group that decided to abbreviate the word "count" in their variable names by omitting just one letter (guess which).

ArSol probably has the above ones beat, though. But I'd be pretty tempted to keep it...

Hold on. I just googled this -- "Arsol Aromatics"? This has got to be a put-on. If not, then you must definitely keep it. Talk about memorable!
(User deleted) Send private email

Change the name.  Seriously.

> Then there was the Japanese programming group that decided to abbreviate the word "count" in their variable names by omitting just one letter (guess which).

That reminds me of when I was at university.  The lecturers of  one of the first-year programming courses invented a modula-2 library which allowed the newbies to draw on the screen, a bit like logo.  They had one function which returned the pen's X and Y co-ordinates ... which they called pen_is().
Clarke Ching Send private email

A funny thread at last!

+1 to Change the Name

Makes no difference to me as I am a Portuguese native speaker, and as a programmer I am used to composite names like your company name.

But for the average english-speaker customer...
Rui Curado Send private email

Having just gone through the whole "find a company name that 1) doesn't sound either ridiculous or offensive and 2) isn't already registered as a domain name by someone else" I can sympathize with your predicament. That said, you REALLY need to choose another name.

I'd work with your name a little more. While ARDUINO.COM seems to be registered by a domain squatter (he has about 45,000 other domains registered, based on a domaintools.com whois search), but GARDUINO.COM looks like it is open, as is ARDUINOSOL.COM; both are perfectly good domain names in my book.
Jeffrey Dutky Send private email

It reminds me of a programing language I tried to develop long time ago - Arbol - (tree in Spanish, also type of Chilies).
ArSol - do not sound good to me (disclaimer: I am not native English sleeker)
Appraisal Mind Send private email
Monday, February 09, 2009

Thanks guys by all the responses.

>>My company name is ArSol ... I should change it?
>I assumed you were joking, until I did a Google.
><finishes laughing after 5 minutes>

He, not very funny to me :)

Well, but thinking in change the name, two questions:

1. I've my mails/web name/etc spread on lots and lots of sites, and search engines and forums, and directories, and so. Is realistic to think in a change?

2. Assuming that I can afford such change, my markets are English and Spanish speaker countries, then I should find a name that fits on two places. Some suggestion (not about the name itself) else about the rules to follow?

Man, that is an unfortunate name and a difficult position to be in.

Your new company name should probably be as similar as possible to the old one so that you don't confuse your clients too much or lose out on your marketing efforts.

Maybe a simple change like "A.R. Solutions" or "A-R Solutions" ?

Good luck. :)
Dominic Send private email

I was thinking "A.R. Solutions" also.  With the first two letters spelled out when spoken,  like "A are solutions." 

Of course, the url probably shouldn't have any punctuation so it would have to be arsolutions.com which still might be teetering on the brink of something weird.

I speak US english, but I've seen enough Brits write the word "arsehole" on the Web that the current name made me burst out laughing in the middle of the office.
SM Send private email

Another question about the same topic. If I decide to change the name, surely don't select nothing with A.R nor my last name, don't think are "cool" names.

Instead, as I like a lot the cold, the snow and the winter, I would like to use some name with “Winter”+”other word” [1], something that I found free as domain name (Will not invest more than the regular price of a domain name on the “name”). Is acceptable “winter”, is a name that can’t generate nothing bad?

[1] Don’t worry, will not use a**, fu** not any other bad word :D
Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"Winter" is a pretty safe word in English - you're unlikely to come up with anything offensive.  But you should still check with a few native English speakers before settling on a new name!

(Feel free to email me if you don't want to publish your ideas in the forum - I'm from the UK.)
Richie Hindle Send private email
Tuesday, February 10, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics